Linux Install Attempt; How Did Aspire Z1620-UR31P Get Set to Legacy Mode?

Options
WJB-2
WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Today I started a DVD-based installation of Linux Mint 19.1 that I intended for dual boot with Windows 10 on the above listed All-In-One. Moments in, the installer warned it was about to install with UEFI mode but there was another OS in place using compatibility mode, meaning Legacy "BIOS." That would almost surely prevent dual-booting. I suspected the warning was a mistake because I could swear when I purchased this unit new in early 2012 it was set to UEFI. Well, I checked, and Ubuntu Linux was correct, the system is set to Legacy. I couldn't determine from an online Service Manual if Legacy was the original setting. Due to past Windows 10 Upgrade difficulties -- one so severe it damaged the system's partitions, leaving it "bricked" for two weeks -- I was forced to do multiple clean installs. So, two questions:

-- Is it possible/likely the clean installs altered BIOS mode?
-- Dare I set/reset it to UEFI, which I not only prefer but that Microsoft recommends for Windows 10?

Alternately, I'm considering letting Ubuntu Linux wipe Windows 10, because I have an Aspire E1 that definitely uses UEFI so it can be my dual boot system. I only want Windows on hand as a precaution and can always reinstall it if necessary because the Windows Activation key has always remained within the BIOS, even following BIOS upgrades.

Thanks,
Bill

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hey Bill,

I've never actually used an Acer All-in-One from 2011 or early 2012, but let me try to answer your questions based on my observations on this forum.

-- Is it possible/likely the clean installs altered BIOS mode?  Yes.  I don't think you have a modern UEFI.  I think you have a hybrid BIOS that has EFI support.  There's two different versions of the Z1620.  The Windows 7 version and the Windows 8 version.  Windows 8 wasn't released until August 1st 2012 so you must have the Windows 7 version.  The reason this is relevant is because your hybrid BIOS has an autodetect feature.  If the HDD is partitioned or initialized as GPT style, then your BIOS will automatically switch to EFI mode.....and the Windows 10 installer will detect that too.  And if your HDD is partitioned or initialized MBR style, it will automatically switch the BIOS in to BIOS mode.  If your HDD is uninitialized (neither MBR nor GPT), then the Windows 10 installer will **typically** give you a choice as to how you want to install ......as legacy or EFI.

-- Dare I set/reset it to UEFI, which I not only prefer but that Microsoft recommends for Windows 10?  I would start over and wipe the drive with diskpart clean and switch everything to UEFI/EFI mode.  So you'd be installing both Windows and Linux as EFI.  (Don't forget to backup your important personal files).

To wipe the HDD and convert the disk to GPT......

1. Create a Windows 10 USB flash drive media with rufus.  Download the iso using Microsoft's media creation tool.  Use rufus with settings:  UEFI (non CSM), GPT, FAT32.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://rufus.ie/

2.  Boot the Windows USB flash drive

3. Instead of installing, click "repair your computer" and navigate to command prompt and open a command prompt.

4. At the command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x           (x= the HDD you want to wipe and convert to GPT)
    clean                     (this will wipe your HDD)
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit

5.  Press and hold your computer's power button until your computer shuts off.

6.  Turn on your computer and install Windows 10.  Select Custom Install.  Click Next and the Windows installer will automatically install Windows 10 as EFI.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    edited March 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hey Bill,

I've never actually used an Acer All-in-One from 2011 or early 2012, but let me try to answer your questions based on my observations on this forum.

-- Is it possible/likely the clean installs altered BIOS mode?  Yes.  I don't think you have a modern UEFI.  I think you have a hybrid BIOS that has EFI support.  There's two different versions of the Z1620.  The Windows 7 version and the Windows 8 version.  Windows 8 wasn't released until August 1st 2012 so you must have the Windows 7 version.  The reason this is relevant is because your hybrid BIOS has an autodetect feature.  If the HDD is partitioned or initialized as GPT style, then your BIOS will automatically switch to EFI mode.....and the Windows 10 installer will detect that too.  And if your HDD is partitioned or initialized MBR style, it will automatically switch the BIOS in to BIOS mode.  If your HDD is uninitialized (neither MBR nor GPT), then the Windows 10 installer will **typically** give you a choice as to how you want to install ......as legacy or EFI.

-- Dare I set/reset it to UEFI, which I not only prefer but that Microsoft recommends for Windows 10?  I would start over and wipe the drive with diskpart clean and switch everything to UEFI/EFI mode.  So you'd be installing both Windows and Linux as EFI.  (Don't forget to backup your important personal files).

To wipe the HDD and convert the disk to GPT......

1. Create a Windows 10 USB flash drive media with rufus.  Download the iso using Microsoft's media creation tool.  Use rufus with settings:  UEFI (non CSM), GPT, FAT32.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://rufus.ie/

2.  Boot the Windows USB flash drive

3. Instead of installing, click "repair your computer" and navigate to command prompt and open a command prompt.

4. At the command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x           (x= the HDD you want to wipe and convert to GPT)
    clean                     (this will wipe your HDD)
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit

5.  Press and hold your computer's power button until your computer shuts off.

6.  Turn on your computer and install Windows 10.  Select Custom Install.  Click Next and the Windows installer will automatically install Windows 10 as EFI.

• WJB-2
    Options
    Wow, JordanB, thank you so much for taking the trouble for that. You're instructions were clearer, simpler, better than what I found at Microsoft Support. I hesitated using MS guidance until hearing from Acer Community. You gave needed perspective: Yes, my Z1620 was designed for Windows 7. And I now know I didn't imagine seeing "EFI" inside. I tend to think any PC built in 2012 is UEFI. I cannot find the manufacture date label, but given the purchase occurred April 2012, the PC was likely built late in 2011 or perhaps early 2012.
    Okay, I'm ready to proceed and don't want to take much more of your generous time. So just two points of clarification, please.  After instruction 5 says power off the PC, instruction 6 says power back on and install the UEFI-based ISO. Because of the forced shutdown do I not need to press "F12" to choose the boot device?
    You see, before I begin the install I need to -- please bear with me here -- disable the LAN card. After countless exasperating Windows 10 installation and upgrade failures, I finally realized a Ralink 802.11n Wireless LAN Card kept freezing every upgrade at 75 percent. It didn't matter whether I used Windows installer or did a clean install. As it happens 75 percent is roughly when updates are downloaded. With the LAN card disabled updates are bypassed for Windows to handle later.
    Curiously, LAN card disabling doesn't prevent the freeze with Windows Installer; only with a clean install. As the clean install completes the card is re-enabled. Thank goodness there's no script to re-enable the card for the updates, or I'd need to conduct the tedious opening of an all-in-one to remove the card. Anyway, my unfortunately long explanation is to say the place within your instructions to disable the LAN card appears to be before instruction 2.
    Microsoft recently sent me its latest Windows 10 version, the much delayed 1809, so as usual I skipped automatic install, downloaded the Media Creation Tool, and installed via USB bootable ISO. Version 1903 is expected in April, so at that time if I choose to retain a dual boot I guess I'll need to use RUFUS once more and hope the upgrade doesn't destroy my Linux partition. It may well do so -- in fact I believe it definitely will -- soon after which my Z1620 will happily kiss Microsoft farewell.
    Once again, with sincerest thanks!
    Bill
  • JordanB
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Bill,

The instructions that I gave you will completely wipe your HDD including your linux partitions.  Everything will be wiped.  The entire HDD.

The instructions that I gave you should work.  Your computer won't be able to boot the HDD since there's nothing on it, but should continue in the boot order until it boots the USB flash drive.

It's always better to install Windows first.   And then install linux second.

You can try to use the USB drive that microsoft sent you instead of the rufus drive if you want.....the Microsoft USB drive should contain both the legacy and EFI boot files.  In fact in might be better to use the Microsoft USB drive that they sent you to ensure the USB flash drive boots.

The reason I suggested using the described rufus method is because it eliminates the possibility of you accidentally installing Windows 10 as legacy....especially when switching from legacy to UEFI. 
  • WJB-2
    Options
    Okay, JordanB, as I originally noted mine was a "DVD-based installation," i.e., an ISO. What you call the drive "that Microsoft sent" describes what's created after downloading MS's Media Creation Tool (MCT).  The MCT downloads the latest Windows 10 version/build, seeks and adds any updates, and then facilitates flashing its contents to a USB drive and/or generating an ISO for burning to DVD. Usually I make one of each but this time only burned the ISO to DVD.
    You seem more comfortable if I create a FAT32 flash drive via the MCT rather than use Rufus: "In fact it might be better to use the Microsoft USB drive that they sent you to ensure the USB flash drive boots." Though it gave me pause as you then explained your suggested Rufus method "eliminates the possibility" of accidentally installing Windows 10 in compatibility/Legacy mode, "especially when switching from Legacy to UEFI." But with clear memory of a boot-looped PC with messed up partitions, I appreciate your lean toward the MS drive.
    In your earlier explanation of the Z1620's hybrid set-up, you wrote, "If the HDD is partitioned or initialized as GPT style, then your BIOS will automatically switch to EFI mode ... and the Windows 10 installer will detect that...."  The window image below via Disk Management shows partition style is GPT. So you're suggesting that, unlike the DVD's ISO, the MCT-generated Windows 10 installer flash drive will detect that. And therefore no need for Rufus. Are we in sync?

• JordanB
    Options
    Sorry about that...I misunderstood.  I think we're in sync now.  If the DVD doesn't work for some reason, then you can go back and create a USB drive with rufus.  Don't forget to shutdown your computer by pressing and holding your computer's power button after you've used the diskpart instructions.