Acer KG271UA Black Screen with Freesync

ISerotoninI
ISerotoninI Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
Getting intermittent black screens whilst using Freesync on this monitor. Have tried changing PSU, GPU etc but no luck resolving. I have searched across other platforms and the vast majority of owners are experiencing this exact problem with this unit, making freesync unusable. I'm hoping this might help raise awareness to Acer but also enquire with you if anyone has managed to resolve this issue, besides simply switching Freesync off. Thanks. 

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Getting intermittent black screens whilst using Freesync on this monitor. Have tried changing PSU, GPU etc but no luck resolving. I have searched across other platforms and the vast majority of owners are experiencing this exact problem with this unit, making freesync unusable. I'm hoping this might help raise awareness to Acer but also enquire with you if anyone has managed to resolve this issue, besides simply switching Freesync off. Thanks. 
    have you tried to update the monitor drivers manually. First download the monitor drivers from acer website and then extract the file, save it on desktop. Go to device manager and right click on monitor drivers and update it manually.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

Hi, the KG271UA isn't listed in the drivers list. The KG271U is however, and these are the drivers I'm currently using. The former is a 144hz, the latter is only 75hz so it could be a driver problem but not one I know how to fix unfortunately! 
  • Rudy21
    Hi, the KG271UA isn't listed in the drivers list. The KG271U is however, and these are the drivers I'm currently using. The former is a 144hz, the latter is only 75hz so it could be a driver problem but not one I know how to fix unfortunately! 
    I see there are drivers available in this link : https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7370?b=1 However, the most updated drivers are for Windows 8. Be informed Windows 8 drivers are still compatible with the device.
  • ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

Thanks Rudy but that link looks like the same KG271U drivers I'm using. 
  • Rudy21
    Thanks Rudy but that link looks like the same KG271U drivers I'm using. 
    Does the issue appear after turning off freesync.
  • ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

In around two weeks of use, I have not seen this issue once since turning off freesync. I have spoken to other owners who have said it affects Xbox One X freesync use, as well as G-Sync use on an Nvidia card (I am using AMD so running true freesync).
  • Rudy21
    In around two weeks of use, I have not seen this issue once since turning off freesync. I have spoken to other owners who have said it affects Xbox One X freesync use, as well as G-Sync use on an Nvidia card (I am using AMD so running true freesync).
    this is what i found in AMD community. Might worth a try.

Changing the display color depth to 6 bpc (from 8) in Radeon Additional Settings has resolved the issue completely with Display Port 1.2/Freesync enabled.

https://community.amd.com/thread/208903
  • ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

Hi Rudy, I have previously tried that but it didn't help I'm afraid. 
  • Rudy21
    Hi Rudy, I have previously tried that but it didn't help I'm afraid. 
    Try these, Changing the display color depth to 6 bpc (from 8) in Radeon Additional Settings has resolved the issue completely with Display Port 1.2/Freesync enabled.

If this does not help then i'm sorry that i really couldnt find any other solution.
  • ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

Rudy, what would happen if I tried using a more up to date driver from a different model? The XF270 has similar specs and a much more recent driver. Is this worth a try or could it cause damage? 
  • Rudy21
    Rudy, what would happen if I tried using a more up to date driver from a different model? The XF270 has similar specs and a much more recent driver. Is this worth a try or could it cause damage? 
    It wouldn't cause damage but yes as you mentioned its worth a try. Post updating the drivers if the issue still persist then you can uninstall updated drivers and re-install the one for this device from acer.com
  • ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

Sorry Rudy but no luck with other drivers. Also turning colour depth to 6 bpc doesn't work either. 
  • Rudy21
    Sorry Rudy but no luck with other drivers. Also turning colour depth to 6 bpc doesn't work either. 
    @egydiocoelho seeking out your help.. can you help our colleague here..
  • Hello! For freensync to work, you must have a processor, a video card, a dp cable and a monitor compatible with this technology! What is the model of your computer and your video card? What is the version of windows 10 and have you updated the drivers?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    Hi,

CPU: Ryzen 1700
    16gb DDR4 Ram
    GPU: RX Vega 64
    PSU: 850W EVGA Gold
    Motherboard: AS Rock AB350m Pro4
    Monitor: Acer KG271UA. 

I am using the supplied 1.2 dp cable. I have also tried to use with a different graphics card and a different PSU. 

To clarify, Freesync turns on fine and I have smooth frame rates but get black screens every few minutes when it is enabled. I believe this may be a firmware/driver issue as I can see on Reddit etc other people are having the same problem. 

Thanks.

• Have you tried lowering the refresh rate to see if the problem remains?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

I have tried capping my frames per second in-game to 120 instead of 144 but this didn't help. I will try to change refresh rate this evening to see if that helps, but that is not a long term solution, especially as the high refresh rate is the main reason people purchase this monitor. 
    Thanks. 
  • I know that! You can change the resolution also in windows:

This will only serve as a test!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Have you already updated the video card drivers?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ISerotoninI

Tinkerer

Hi, yes I have updated video card drivers and also tried a couple of older ones too. On 120hz and 100hz this issue is still very present. I did not notice it on 60hz but I only tested each refresh rate for ten minutes or so. Thanks.