What do I look for in bios settings before I pop in a replacement 970 evo 1tb c drive ?

DosWasBest
DosWasBest Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Predator laptop G3-572

1. I'll take out the Intel 600 nvme and put it aside in case I need to go back to square one.  I'll remove my sata spinning D drive as well,putting it back in later.
2. I'll pop in a new 970 evo 1tb m.2 nvme
3. I'll power up with laptop....wanting bios to look to a usb flash drive (I have a bootable flash drive ready to use with a win10 image on it from MS update assistant) to do a fresh win10 install onto the 970, formatting the 970 in the process.  (I'll grab pertinent Predator drivers etc later for what win10 update doesn't install)

Ok, so here's the question.... before I take out the intel 600, what do I need to set the bios for in order to ensure that upon next bootup, the bios will see the 970 after the 600 is gone..and...ensure the bios looks to the usb flash drive for booting since the 970 doesn't yet have anything on it and isn't yet formatted.

I've poked around the bios a bit to see what's there.  I'm thinking the secure boot (or whatever it is) is a setting I'll have to change in order for the sandisk usb flash drive to be seen for grabbing the win10 image.  But I'm not sure.

Tips will be useful.  I'd rather not weed through a hassle where the laptop doesn't see the 970 in bios, or doesn't see the usb flash drive as a bootable device.

Answers

• ATR42
    ATR42 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited March 2019
    Turn off optaine switch bios to AHCI, you also may need to swap slots physically depending on ur set up. 
    I did the exact same thing to mine, ditched the platter drive and stock SSD, installed 1Tb Nvme m.2 970 evo, and a sata ssd in the other slot. Runs great. 

Helios 500 . PH517-51-72NU . i7 8750H . GTX1070 . Evo 970 nvme