i want to dual boot my laptop with linux ubuntu.

alok2091
alok2091 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
it reads error related to acpi.i dont know what it is.there is no problem with ubuntu image,as two of my friends installed from same pendrive.it feels like ive choosen wrong laptop for myself.i am frustrated

Answers

• MPADHU
    MPADHU Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Whats you laptop model? 
    How many partitions/drives are there ? such as C,D,E drives
    Are you running Windows 10 already and wanted to install ubuntu?
  • alok2091
    ans515,is my model ,acer nitro ryzen 5.two drives i have c and d,c is for windows and i ve shrinked 120 gb for ubuntu.
  • alok2091
    yeah i have windows 10 as provide by company ,but i want to dual boot it with ubuntu
  • alok2091
    please send all the instructions that i must follow to dual boot my laptop as i am tired of trying to do it by myself,last time installion was in progress but it asked to restart but nothing happens and my laptop goes black,after explicitely restarting ,no file was present on hdd,but boot loader is present on my boot screen and after that i am not able to boot it as well as my ubuntu pendrive and same acpi error that occured before flashes again
  • MPADHU
    MPADHU Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    You need to disable the ACPI from the grub.
    At the boot screen, hit 'e' key, you will be redirected to the grub menu, add the below piece of code:

acpi=off

at the end of the linux /vmlinuz line. After that save the new settings and re-boot with Ctrl + X and resume the installation.
  • alok2091
    when i enter boot screen of ubuntu ,it automatically takes me to black screen which shows
    grub>
    here nothing happens after enetring acpi=off
    from here give me step by step instructions please mam
  • alok2091
    please be specific about each step ,consider me a newbie.i m new to these stuffs and i dunno wanna crash my system
  • Woofah
    Woofah Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    http://kulminaator.blogspot.com/2018/06/linux-on-amd-ryzen-2500u-powered-laptop.html

This is what I followed to get Ubuntu working. About to get Ubuntu and windows set up for dual boot again right now. Also, a heads up in Ubuntu the laptop will have issues with suspend. It won't fully go to sleep and the screen won't come back on. 
  • Woofah
    Woofah Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    MPADHU said:
    You need to disable the ACPI from the grub.
    At the boot screen, hit 'e' key, you will be redirected to the grub menu, add the below piece of code:

acpi=off

at the end of the linux /vmlinuz line. After that save the new settings and re-boot with Ctrl + X and resume the installation.
    I just set up dual boot for my laptop and acpi=off didnt seem to work. The laptop barely gets through the initialition of the live environment then the laptop shuts down. PCI=NOACPI works fine. I was able to boot into the live environment and install no problem.