Laptop frozen while starting up, have to hold power button and restart in order to turn it on

Niqhtshade
Niqhtshade Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
So recently I had reset my laptop, and ever since, when ever I turn on my laptop, its frozen on the Acer Boot up screen. I have to hold the Power Button and shut the laptop down and then turn the laptop on again in order to get it start up
Help please ?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,851 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is with a full, erase-everthing, factory re-set using the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown above https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/652766/#Comment_652766

Immediately after the reset is done\, you should make sure 'system protection' is turned on in Control Panel's 'create a restore point' app so that if a major Win10 update version is responsible for the stutter issue, you can essentially roll back to the earlier version and block the problem update till the next major update is released --- usually a 6 month cycle.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Shut down again. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10. A recovery screen should appear. Follow directions in the video below to reset the machine again. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• Niqhtshade
    Should I completely reset ?, or can I keep my files, is there no other fix to this ?
  • JackE
    >>>So recently I had reset my laptop>>>

You said you re-set already? What kind of a reset? Or was it more of a refresh while saving your files. In either case, you really should do a backup or make an image before you do something like this. And why did you have to re-set it in the first place? Perhaps you better explain in more detail why you had to do this before offering any other possible fixes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Niqhtshade
    I had clean installed windows onto my laptop, and i reset it as all games i played were stuttering
  • JackE
    Do you mean that you clean installed the Microsoft generic Win10 version, not the ACER-specific version? There is a difference. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Niqhtshade
    I had reset from the settings itself, so I’m pretty sure it’s acer specific 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is with a full, erase-everthing, factory re-set using the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown above https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/652766/#Comment_652766

Immediately after the reset is done\, you should make sure 'system protection' is turned on in Control Panel's 'create a restore point' app so that if a major Win10 update version is responsible for the stutter issue, you can essentially roll back to the earlier version and block the problem update till the next major update is released --- usually a 6 month cycle.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Niqhtshade
    thanks a lot dood

• JackE
    Okee-Doke. Make sure system protection is enabled in Control Panel's 'create a restore point' app. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ