PSU on G6-710 Desktop, fan issues

Unconquered
Unconquered Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hey,

So I have a G6-710 that I bought about 3 years ago, so I'm not surprised that I may be running into some issues at this point.

I generally use HWMonitor to monitor my temperatures, and up until about a week ago, it was showing me that I had a fan running at a solid 800RPM, and that FANPWM2 was running at 17% with no deviation.  Seeing as the only fans in here are the one on my Cooler Master for the CPU, and one that I have in the case (and I could clearly see those ones) I took that to mean that those other numbers must have been the PSU fan.

A week ago, the fan showing the 800RPM disappeared from my list of sensor in HWMonitor, however the 17% FANPWM2 was still going, so I figured it was fine.  Yesterday, however, the FANPWM2 changed to 0%, and does not move at all.

I opened up the case, blew it out, and started it open, and the fan does spin, although not incredibly fast.  Fast enough that I can't discern the individual blades, but not nearly as fast as my other fans.   Sticking my hand behind the case, even under load, it hasn't felt hot, and only rarely warm, but I worry that the fan is not functioning correctly.  I'm not going to be putting the PC under load until I'm satisfied that this is not going to fry my computer. 

Is this normal?  Did the sensor on my PSU fan just...go? for some reason?  Or should I be concerned, and looking to immediately replace my PSU.

Thanks

PS: I believe this is the power supply in the computer, but there are no specs or anything provided for it. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1B4-0018-004Z5

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Is there a chance HWMonitor did an update? 800 RPM is a typical idle speed for PWM (4 wire) controlled fans, so that doesn't look bad. It should be the case fan, I would expect the CPU fan to also be PWM, but it should be #1, not #2 since it's required and the case fan is not. Typically the power supply fan is not controlled by the motherboard and won't show with utilities like that.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.