Random CPU Frequency drops to 0.8 GHz on Helios 300 (PH317-52)

DogeLePéon
DogeLePéon Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi everyone.
I'm having some issues with my Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) I bought a few months ago, with GTX 1060 and i7-8750H
As I bought this laptop under some time constraints and for gaming purposes, I chose this one as it had a good perfomance/price ratio. And to be honest, I was quite happy with the performances of the laptop in game (around 100fps in high quality for recent games). However, I keep having some performance drop every 2/3 minutes, making the computer go 5/10fps (and sometimes sound problems too) for a few seconds, and up to a minute on some games (especially PUBG).
I've kept looking for solutions, tried a lot, and eventually realized that during this drop, the CPU goes to 0.8GHz (instead of 2.2Ghz, overclockable to 3.8GHz easily), hitting the 90°C and so, but without (apparently) experiencing thermal, power or current throttling, only VR thermal throttling, which I'm not using.
After trying a lot of things to keep the computer from overheating (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTPMwQKlfPE&app=desktop), using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, ThrottleStop, ... (mainly playing with CPU core offset voltage, turbo ratio limits, ...).
Even if all these methods helped me lowering the average temperature of CPU for non-gaming usage (going from ~70°C to ~50°C using chrome and discord and such), whenever I start playing, the CPU temperature will start rising to the 90s°C and CPU will have these frequency drops, making the game unplayable for the same periods of time (few seconds to a minute, depending on the game).
I'm out of ideas, and open to any solution (even concerning ThrottleStop or Intel ETU configs, I might have misconfigured these).