Slow Read/Write Speeds on Newly Installed SSD in VX5-591G-75RM Laptop

hamlam
hamlam Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

After opening my laptop and installing a Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB SSD with the provided mounting kit, I decided to run some benchmarks, and to my surprise the SSD performed well below advertised specs with a sequential 280 MB/s read speed and a 250 MB/s write speed with Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskMark. At first I thought this was because the cable was limited to Sata 3Gb/s but on the Mounting Kit order website at https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46288/~/adding-a-second-hard-drive-to-the-aspire-vx-15-(vx5-591g) it clearly states that the parts provided were SATA 3, not SATA 2. Samsung Magician also shows that the interface is Sata 6.0 Gb/s (see images attached). When transferring some files from the 256 pre-included 256 GB SSD the write speed occasionally sped up to around 500 MB/s too, so the problem probably isn't with a Sata 2 connection.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If the problem doesn't occur on other SSDs, then the issue is within the SSD itself. Can you show a screenshot of the CrystalDiskMark results for the EVO 860?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• hamlam
    hamlam Member Posts: 3 New User
    CDM results say the same thing, and I don't have a spare SSD on hand right now but I could order a cheap one online to compare.