Solution for a power button that works 1/100 times?

Hovinbole
Hovinbole Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Bought a new computer this september and since november the power button has been periodically working 1 out of a 100 times.. it is getting worse, this morning it took me ten minutes to get the computer on. The light from the charger shows as usual no matter what and from time to time it turns on as usual on the first try.

I use the computer every day at school and I am a 100% depending on it to graduate as this class is purely digital. Any solutions? Acer told me they had to ship it to Germany if I want to use the warranty, I do not have the time for that. Is it possible to use another button as the power button maybe? Or use the sleep/hibernate mode permanently until June?

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Hovinbole!

First, what exact model of your laptop?
    It is possible that only the missing cable that connects the power button to the motherboard is wobbly.
    Depending on the Bios, some models may be configured to connect through a key combination.
    Just look for something like "power on keyboard".
    It is even possible to use hibernation, but this long period can cause some system error.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Hovinbole
    My computer model is Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 75GS. Thanks, I will try the power on keyboard, if that does not work I'll use the hibernation option for as long as possible. If it comes down to it I may have to drop by a computer workshop and just pay for it myself.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if the power on keyboard option worked!
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    OK!
    Take the test and let me know!
    If you need any other help, just post here!
    If I have been able to help you, please accept my response and validate the topic to help other users!

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Hovinbole
    edited March 2019
    My computer did not have a power on keyboard option unfortunately. It looks like hibernation will be the preferred choice for a while. Maybe a visit to a workshop, to keep the warranty intact, but it will cost somewhere between 2-300£..