driver speedup hack(Helios G3-571 )

ha7msterx
ha7msterx Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Predator Helios 300 (g3-571) and I generally had the fps issues that people describe here, but I did the following and have had a tremendous improvement. I don't know exactly which part or all of it is relevant, and I'm not inclined to go back and experiment in order to conclusively say..

1. removed everything with DDU (nvidia and intel)
2. installed 419.17
3. installed intel DCH driver (dch_win64_BETA_25.20.100.6577.exe)
4. force-updated nvidia driver to the last entry for "GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design"

I realize this is not a max-q card, nor do i completely understand what that entails, if there are hardware differences which will eventually make my laptop explode, but for the time being it seems quite stable and faster than its ever been.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Helios G3-571 doesn't have a MAX-Q 1060. It has the mobile version of the desktop 1060 with slightly lower base and boost clocks. 1060 MAX-Q is again a normal 1060, but with even more reduced clock speeds for less power output and better efficiency for thinner laptops with worse cooling.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,747 Pathfinder
    Another important thing to keep in mind if anyone is considering updating their drivers to DCH drivers.

As of November 2018, any driver updates for Intel products on these operating systems will be the Windows Modern Drivers. After a driver has been updated to a Windows Modern Driver, it's possible to roll back to a legacy driver. However, rolling back isn't recommended as it involves a complex process that could result in system instability. This system instability is especially pertinent to graphics drivers. You can find more information on this subject.

-----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve