Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572-73FH Not Booting Up

djlive99
djlive99 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Acer predator bought in Oct 2017 is not at all booting up at all from couple of days. I had tried resetting my battery few times but that did not help, this solution is given in some other threads. The battery is charged but it is not booting up (always connected), power indicator is also not showing any light when External power is applied through Adaptar. It was working perfectly fine and then not sure what had happened.

I use this as my secondary laptop at home, connected to an extended monitor on my desk on a ventilated stand and has my personal data. Laptop is in excellent condition, never used it as laptop, mostly desktop (I feel it is heavy as opposed to my office laptop). So far, I was pretty much satisfied with my puchase. In begining there were issues related to Windows but  they were sorted out with updates. . Since then never had any issues, can't recall any. Not a Windows update in recent days which I can recall which could have caused this issue. Never had any heating related issues which I had seen people going through in some other threads, I'm not a heavy gamer but enjoy Visual studio loading in very fast time.

Can someone please help me or guide me through this ? 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    So from what I understood the device doesn't turn on at all(no fans spinning, no display output) and doesn't indicate when the charger is connected.

Make sure that the switch from the picture below is properly pressed, by sticking some electrical tape on the part of the RAM cover that presses it.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• djlive99
    ven98 said:
    So from what I understood the device doesn't turn on at all(no fans spinning, no display output) and doesn't indicate when the charger is connected.

Make sure that the switch from the picture below is properly pressed, by sticking some electrical tape on the part of the RAM cover that presses it.
    Thanks @ven98 , Your understanding of problem is correct.  I tried the solution suggested by sticking a double sided tape on part of RAM cover (see pic) to press the switch. I can see it creates a mark on tape which means it is getting pressed. However, still running into same issue. Laptop is not booting up.

BTW, My laptop config is Intel i7, Nvidia 1050 Ti with Windows 10.
    Thanks again,

• ven98
    Check if all screws on the laptop are tightened. There are some screws that if not tightened enough, the device won't boot.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• djlive99
    Thanks again @ven98 for the suggestion. I had tried this as well,tightening all external screws (someone mentioned in some other thread). Is there any specific ones which I need to look into. Using Pic from a teardown video from Youtube:

• ven98
    Sometimes they are marked. You can tighten all of them.

Have you checked whether the charger is outputting voltage and is working?

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    I think it is very possible that the motherboard is dead, unfortunately. No indication of charging, despite the charger outputting power(you haven't checked that yet) and not being able to power on pretty much indicate a faulty motherboard. In this case I suggest you to contact Acer if you still have warranty. If you don't have warranty, you can remove the RAM, close the lid and then power on without the RAM. If the device doesn't turn on, disconnect the charger, open the laptop, disconnect the main battery, and then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard, wait for several minutes and put the CMOS battery back. To avoid opening the laptop a second time you can use a voltage measuring tool/multimeter to check if there is any voltage present at the DC port where it connects to the motherboard, while the charger is connected(be careful not to short any contacts).

If nothing works last thing you can try is disconnecting the main battery and attempt to turn on the laptop, while plugged in without battery.

If nothing works, I don't think that anything else can be done at that point. The motherboard is most likely dead and what you can do is look for any burn marks just in case if something visible has bursted/failed.

I am writing this now, because I won't be able to answer in the next 8 hours or so.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system