Swift 1 SF114-32-P30S

jp_d_cruz
jp_d_cruz Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I want to upgrade the storage of my laptop. I followed instructions in Youtube about opening the back cover but their's seems to be of different layout that mine. In the tutorials they also used an M.2 SSD with the two notch or cuts/spacing through the pins that separates them in three groups.
The SSD slot in mine looks like there's only one divider that separates a group of 29 pins to the left, and 4 pins to the right (please see attached pictures).
I wish to be enlightened as to what SSD should i buy for this model. I'm a little bit newbee on tinkering laptops. I only relied on watching Youtube instructions and lots of courage to do it. Thank you for any assistance.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @jp_d_cruz
    In order to install M.2 please check the below link:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61148

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,488 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Hi.

Your team has a socket, for a PCIe key M, here is a compatible link.
    Storage Subsystem0
    Solid state drive
    256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 GB / 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
    64 GB eMMC

These ssd m2 are detailed in the manual, with B and M also compatible.

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • jp_d_cruz

Tinkerer

Jack22 said:
    @jp_d_cruz
    In order to install M.2 please check the below link:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61148

Thank you. This instruction, i might need for later but it's not the answer i'm looking for at this time.
  • jp_d_cruz

Tinkerer

IVAN_PC said:
    Hi.

Your team has a socket, for a PCIe key M, here is a compatible link.
    Storage Subsystem0
    Solid state drive
    256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 GB / 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
    64 GB eMMC

These ssd m2 are detailed in the manual, with B and M also compatible.

Regards.
    Thank you IVAN_PC. Does that mean i can also install the SSD with two cut-out/spacing in the port shown in the picture i posted? Can i only install maximum of 256GB or can i put 1TB also? 
  • IVAN_PC

If accurate, you can place with B and M keys, but most of these are SATA3 technology, better buy a M key, which are PCIe.

I understand that the capacity must be respected to 256 GB.

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • jp_d_cruz

Tinkerer

IVAN_PC said:

If accurate, you can place with B and M keys, but most of these are SATA3 technology, better buy a M key, which are PCIe.

I understand that the capacity must be respected to 256 GB.

Regards.

Ok Thank you. I'll try to research what those terms means. They are still jargon to me.
  • IVAN_PC

Here is a small information.

• jp_d_cruz

Tinkerer

Thanks to IVAN_PC, although he suggested 256GB,  I decided to purchase a WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2 2280, 1TB. It is detected instantly by Swift 1.

Note: Fastened it up by tape, because i don't have screw for it.

I also followed Jack22's post in the migration of windows from the original drive. It worked and booted but some of my programs didn't work. And i encountered some crash with blue screen. So, with the help of youtube tutorials, i purchased windows 10 and did a fresh installation.

Just finished installing windows 10. 

I can close this thread now.
  • Mateyahoy
    Mateyahoy Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same laptop and was thinking of adding a 1tb drive also. I'm just wondering if the 256 recommendation was because of heat. Would a 1tb be much hotter than a 256. The Western Digital Blue are noted to run a little cooler.
  • Mateyahoy
    Mateyahoy Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited May 2019
    I went ahead and installed the 1 Terabyte it works great. I did go down to the local computer repair place. They gave me a screw to hold the SSD in place, so I didn't have to use tape.

I've formatted the drive to 300 and 700 gigs, I'll load the operating system on the 300 and she'll be an awesome machine. Thanks for the idea JP.
  • mon6778
    mon6778 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same laptop (SF114-32-P30S) and trying to do the same upgrade without any success at all....I have tried 4 different SSDs now and none are recognized by the bios.

The following Samsung drives have been tried:
    I have upgraded BIOS to latest version available (1.15) without any change to detection of drives.

Is there possibly a setting in the bios I am missing or something incompatibly with the drives that I am not aware of?  Appreciate some help with this as it is very frustrating to now have 4 SSD I have to try and return.  Just trying to create more storage on this little laptop for my daughter to be able install more apps.

Thanks

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Any of those should work. Where are you expecting the drive to show up in the BIOS? At first glance through the screens it doesn't look like it will, only the HDD is shown on the Information screen. With the drive installed and the system booted into Windows, what does Disk Management show?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Stfn
    Stfn Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited March 2022
    mon6778 said:
    I have the same laptop (SF114-32-P30S) and trying to do the same upgrade without any success at all....I have tried 4 different SSDs now and none are recognized by the bios.

The following Samsung drives have been tried:
    I have upgraded BIOS to latest version available (1.15) without any change to detection of drives.

Is there possibly a setting in the bios I am missing or something incompatibly with the drives that I am not aware of?  Appreciate some help with this as it is very frustrating to now have 4 SSD I have to try and return.  Just trying to create more storage on this little laptop for my daughter to be able install more apps.

Thanks

It has been clearly identified that this laptop does NOT support NVMe M.2 SSD drives, even though the specs claim it does. The first three drives on your list (the 9x0) are NVMe so they won't work, unfortunately.
    The last one however is a SATA M.2 SSD and it should work. In fact that's exactly what I have installed on mine, only the 500 GB version. Same laptop model (SF114-32-P30S), same (latest) BIOS too.
    What I noticed though is that the drive does not show anywhere in the BIOS when you first install it brand new. It does not show on the summary page (only the eMMC does) and also doesn't show as boot option because its empty (doesn't have partition nor boot record). This threw me off in the beginning too because I have seen videos online where the newly installed drive shows on the Summary BIOS page, right below the eMMC.
    However, if you boot off of an OS installation USB drive (Windows or Linux), you will see the SATA drive as option to install on. Once you finish the install, the drive will show in the BIOS as boot option (because it now has boot record), however it will still not show on the main BIOS screen.