change the 20GB mSATA drive with a larger drive,use it as a boot drive of OS? Acer M5-481PT-6488

mcordich
mcordich Member Posts: 5 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an old Acer M5-481PT-6488 that has a 20GB mSATA drive. I know the drive is primarily used to store data for the deep sleep mode but is it possible to replace the drive, say with a 250 or 500GB mSATA drive, clone the OS to it and then use it as the boot drive? I don't want to buy the new mSATA only to find out this is not possible. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• These are the ssds compatible with your model, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mcordich
    I have no doubt that there are SSD drives compatible, but can I use that drive as a boot drive once I transfer the OS?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,160 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019
    Yes my friend! Some topics tell you that the msata drive only speeds up HD! Others report that it is possible to install windows in msata, see:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G75pPktRzaM
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mcordich
    One reason I am trying to be extra cautious, the model of my Acer uses the 20GB drive to store data for quick reboot out of deep sleep. So, I am wondering if that function will prevent me from using an upgraded drive as a boot drive. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,160 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    (1) What was the original factory-installed Windows version? What version is on it now?
    (2) What BIOS version number is installed on it now?
    (3) In the BIOS menu Information tab, what drives are identified? A screenshot from a cellphone would be good if possible.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mcordich
    edited March 2019
    Jack,

The answers to your questions:
    1) The computer came with Windows 8, I upgraded to Windows 10

2) The BIOS version is v2.11

Edited by Acer-David
  • JackE
    An  mSATA card should be bootable. My concern is that the BIOS doesn't seem to be detecting the 20GBer that's in there now. Can you see it when you run diskmgmt.msc?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mcordich
    Thanks for all your help. Since this issue makes me nervous I decided to simply get an SSD, clone it and swap it out for the HHD. 
  • JackE
    OK. But you should still press the WINkey + Rkey and enter 'diskmgmt.msc' to see if the existing 20GB mSATA is even working. Can't hurt anything to check. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Colleague maclane wants you to show this here:

Because ssd msata is not being identified in the bios information section!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jazz5000
    jazz5000 Member Posts: 3 New User
    mcordich said:
    I have an old Acer M5-481PT-6488 that has a 20GB mSATA drive. I know the drive is primarily used to store data for the deep sleep mode but is it possible to replace the drive, say with a 250 or 500GB mSATA drive, clone the OS to it and then use it as the boot drive? I don't want to buy the new mSATA only to find out this is not possible. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
    To anyone else researching this, I (after alot of faffing about) finally managed tondo exactly this. 
    I changed the boot order in BIOS to go from USB first, then booted into a windows install from the USB stick. I chose the advanced install option (the bottom one) and it gave me the option of installing onto the mSATA drive. (you need to remember what windows calls it though for later). 
    Once it has finished that setting up initial install screen and goes black YOU MUST REMOVE THE USB! Else you get caught in a loop!
    Windows will load and setup fine.  
    However, even after formatting the HDD you may find on next restart your PC will try to boot from the HDD again thinking there is Windows on there still. Make sure you choose the correct option here to get back to you mSATA windows. 
    I'd say before you attempt to restart Windows after it has first loaded and set itself up on the mSATA, type msconfig into the windows search, go to the "Boot" tab and then delete the windows install from your HDD (which should now be designated as "D:").(there should be two options here, one on "C:" your mSATA, and one on "D:" your old HDD - delete that one obv. 

This worked perfectly for me. Hope it helps. 
    I will say though, that the mSATA does run hot, about 50 plus degrees in mine. The fan does come on more often. But the M5 timeline now boot to login in ten seconds!!

• jazz5000
    Also, the mSATA, though it boots everytime into windows still isn't visible in the BIOS. But that doesn't matter as it works! 🤷🏼‍♂️🖖
  • jazz5000
    mcordich said:
    I have no doubt that there are SSD drives compatible, but can I use that drive as a boot drive once I transfer the OS?
    Yes! See my comment later. Though don't transfer the OS - Dona fresh boot from a USB. 
  • JackE

Thanks for your report. Can you please post a screenshot of disk manager. Press the WIN+R key and enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Thanks Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ