RAM Upgrade problem

Snufkin
Snufkin Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Aspire 5742Z with Windows 7 Home premium 64bit (and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, dual boot) I'm currently running on the original 2GB RAM card, The new card is Kinston KVR13S9S8/4, 4GB PC3-10600 CL9 204-Pin SODIMM.
I was trying to upgrade my RAM with the 4GB RAM card that I bought, tried to put them together and tried to put only the new 4GB card alone and it always ends up with a BSOD!
The BIOS always reports the right amount (weather it is 2/4/6) but it always ends up with a BSOD, IveI tried every method I've found on the web and nothing seemed to help! 
Is there anything that imI missing? Is this card somehow incompatible with this laptop? 

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer
    The module should match these specs  https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-5742z

The only issue I can see is the voltage requirement for the Kingston is 1.5v, whereas your mainboard likes to supply only 1.35v.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    This memory should be compatible with your device. If the memory module wasn't compatible with your device, the system wouldn't boot at all.
    What error is displayed on the BSOD?

It could be that the memory module itself is faulty. You can try using memtest86(requires at least 512MB flash drive; doesn't need to boot in windows for it to work) to check if it will find any memory errors.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Snufkin

Tinkerer

Thanks for the quick replies!
    1. I used Z-RAM and it shows the current card also takes 1.5v
    2. This is the second card tested with same results, the first one is unknown since my father was the one who bought it and he returned it to the store thinking it might be incompatible/faulty.
    The laptop is my sisters and I came here especially to install the new card.
    3. There were a number of BSODs.. the first one was "0x0000007e"
    I didn't use memtest86 thinking two faulty cards from two different stores is not so likely and since I'm not able to let the test run for 24+ hours I thought about trying other possible solutions.. i only have a few more hours here and in case I don't find any solution i have to take the new card back to the store since I won't be able to get back here for a while and I don't want to be stuck with a useless card in the end ^^'

• ven98
    I searched the error 0x0000007e on google and found topics mentioning that it could be caused by a graphics driver. As we know that the driver isn't the problem, as the RAM is what is causing the issue, maybe there could be some incompatibility between the RAM and the graphics driver(the integrated GPU uses part of the system RAM as VRAM)

To check that, you can try booting windows in safe mode. You should gain access to this option by pressing F8 on startup. If you don't get this error in safe mode, then you can try updating the graphics driver from Intel/AMD(depends on your system) to latest version.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,274 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019
    JackE said:
    The module should match these specs  https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-5742z

The only issue I can see is the voltage requirement for the Kingston is 1.5v, whereas your mainboard likes to supply only 1.35v.

Jack E/NJ

Hi Jack,
    Here are the original memory modules of 4GB so... DDR3 1.5V:
    KN.4GB03.005 SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333.NAN.LF
    KN.4GB09.001 SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333.ELP.LF
    KN.4GB0B.007 SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1066
    KN.4GB0B.010 SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333.SAM.LF
    France
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    Thanks all for pointing that out. Crucial guarantees the modules they sell will work or money back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Snufkin

Tinkerer

Every one of the advanced boot options lead to BSOD..
    All drivers are updated except Synaptic touchpad that won't update for some reason even though it shows an update available, could it be related in any way?
    Any way to block the integrated GPU from using the RAM to see if it solves the problem? Is there any sense in trying to do it at all? ^^'
  • ven98
    I don't think you can block the GPU from using RAM, but as the BSOD appears in safe mode, then I now doubt the issue is a driver/RAM incompatibility. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JackE
    edited February 2019
    >>>The BIOS always reports the right amount (weather it is 2/4/6) but it always ends up with a BSOD>>>

Except no BSOD for the old 2GB module in either slot? It might be one of those finicky boards that likes a matched pair above 2GB. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Snufkin

Tinkerer

Exactly, tried both slots and had no problem using the 2GB module alone..

• JackE
    It might be one of those finicky boards that likes a matched pair above 2GB. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Snufkin

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    It might be one of those finicky boards that likes a matched pair above 2GB. Jack E/NJ
    But won't the 4GB work on it's own than?

• JackE
    edited February 2019
    Should work but apparently doesn't on your board. At least not with that Kingston 4GB module. You mainboard supports dual channel memory access which usually works best if both slots are filled with a matched pair. While unmatched 2GB+0GB  works on your machine, unmatched 4GB+0GB and 4GB+2GB doesn't. Maybe a matched 2GB+2GB or 4GB+4GB will work. Not guaranteed but may be worth a try. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ