Can predator helios 300 safely run VR?

ButteryBiscuits
ButteryBiscuits Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone, I recently bought an oculus rift and got around to trying it on my laptop for the first time today. I'm new to PC gaming in general as this is also my first gaming laptop. Anyway, while trying out some games in VR I had someone check the CPU temp for me while I was gaming and they said it was hovering around 90-96 degrees Celcius. I checked once I was done and the max temp that had registered was actually 100 degrees Celcius. I know this is really high but I also read that gaming laptops tend to run hot. My question is should I be concerned about my laptop reaching these temperatures while gaming in VR or is it typical of gaming laptops to reach this temperature?
I have an Acer Predator Helios 300, game that pushed me to 100 D. Celcius was Skyrim VR
Specs are-
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (laptop)
16 GB of RAM
Windows 10 64-bit, updated to date
I also undervolted my laptop before hand, have a cooling pad, use razor cortex, and disabled certain background settings/processes to free up some CPU usage. Any and all help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It isn't normal for the CPU to reach 100C, so if undervolting and having a cooling doesn't help, then I would advice to either repaste(voids warranty) or contact Acer.

What is the CPU usage, while you are playing Skyrim VR and reaching these temperatures?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ButteryBiscuits
    ven98 said:
    It isn't normal for the CPU to reach 100C, so if undervolting and having a cooling doesn't help, then I would advice to either repaste(voids warranty) or contact Acer.

What is the CPU usage, while you are playing Skyrim VR and reaching these temperatures?
    I can't say for sure, but when I looked over for a brief moment it was lingering at about mid to low fourties, spiking to fifty very briefly then back down again. I will check here to be sure in a minute

Also I should probably add that I when I first tried Skyrim VR it auto launched both Steam VR and the Oculus home application. I did some searching on google and found out this can cause some issues. I figured out how to play with only one launcher but that didn't really help much as my temps were still hitting 91-93 D. Celcius
  • ButteryBiscuits
    ven98 said:

I just checked the CPU usage and was actually much lower than I thought, it was around the low to mid twenties with an initial spike up to the fourties in the beginning. After launch it remained the same around the twenties
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    So, from what I understood the CPU's temperatures reaches 93C with a 20% usage. If that is correct, then this isn't normal, especially after undervolt, therefore you need to repaste.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ButteryBiscuits
    ven98 said:
    So, from what I understood the CPU's temperatures reaches 93C with a 20% usage. If that is correct, then this isn't normal, especially after undervolt, therefore you need to repaste.
    Okay thank you, will look into getting it repasted. Also probably going to give up on VR for now, ***** me in more ways than just one 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    @ButteryBiscuits as it was said above by @ven98 that its a really high temp after undervolting it and i would try to get a replacement instead because 20% usage @93c is not normal i suspect even after repaste will not improve much

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/