Dangerous Battery Failure on C720P

andrewrorer
andrewrorer Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My grandmother recently brought her Chromebook C720P with her to visit. I noticed quickly that the case was warped and after opening the device up concluded that it was the result of the battery swelling. The device is well past warranty, and I don't need any help fixing it, but I wanted to make sure that someone was aware of this issue, because if she hadn't brought it here, she would not have noticed it on her own and it could have potentially exploded or caught fire. I don't know if this is a recurrent issue with these devices, but I wanted to make sure that someone at Acer was aware of the issue.

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi andrewrorer,

I am very sorry to hear this, can you please send me a PM with the serial number and your contact information for follow up?

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    My grandmother recently brought her Chromebook C720P with her to visit. I noticed quickly that the case was warped and after opening the device up concluded that it was the result of the battery swelling. The device is well past warranty, and I don't need any help fixing it, but I wanted to make sure that someone was aware of this issue, because if she hadn't brought it here, she would not have noticed it on her own and it could have potentially exploded or caught fire. I don't know if this is a recurrent issue with these devices, but I wanted to make sure that someone at Acer was aware of the issue.
    I would recommend you to contact acer support and report this issue. I guess acer would be able to help you on this.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi andrewrorer,

I am very sorry to hear this, can you please send me a PM with the serial number and your contact information for follow up?

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
  • andrewrorer
    andrewrorer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Rudy21 said:
    I would recommend you to contact acer support and report this issue. I guess acer would be able to help you on this.
    Thanks for the reply, I tried contacting support originally, but was unable to use the main support line because the device is past warranty. Like I said, my main concern was making sure that someone at Acer was aware of the issue, as replacing the battery is not very difficult to do. I was able to reach someone via the free support offered by Acer and they recommended that I post here to make someone aware of the issue.