Update drivers for Intel HD Graphics 620

lucamotoc
lucamotoc Member Posts: 3 New User
I have an Spin SPN513 and I have Intel HD Graphics 620 as my graphics card. I would like to update my drivers for Intel HD Graphics 620 but Intel tells me this when I try to

<div><div><div><p>A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your <a title="Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html" href="https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html" rel="nofollow">computer manufacturer</a> for the latest driver for your computer.</p></div></div></div><br>

I cannot "contact Acer" since I don't have a valid warranty anymore, so what should I do to be able to update my Intel driver on my Acer?

Answers

• rebit
    rebit Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Uninstall the driver until you get 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'

Run the wushowhidediag.cab from Microsoft. Hide the HD620 driver from Acer.

In the Control Panel|System|Advanced System Settings|Hardware|Device Installation Settings select No.

Download the PCH driver from Intel. Install. You'll have to repeat the settings after upgrades.
  • lucamotoc
    rebit said:

In the Control Panel|System|Advanced System Settings|Hardware|Device Installation Settings select No.

Download the PCH driver from Intel. Install. You'll have to repeat the settings after upgrades.
    Thank you, though is this a secure way of doing it? It seems a bit sketchy to me. How come there is no official upgrade? Are you sure there are no risks to this method?
  • rebit
    edited February 2019
    lucamotoc said:
    rebit said:

Thank you, though is this a secure way of doing it? It seems a bit sketchy to me. How come there is no official upgrade? Are you sure there are no risks to this method?
    It's the ONLY way to do it unless Acer provide updated drivers.

The official Acer drivers go into GPU recovery sometimes, if I update them they don't. They're from 2015 as opposed to the 2018 ones that have been released.
  • lucamotoc
    rebit said:
    lucamotoc said:
    rebit said:

The official Acer drivers go into GPU recovery sometimes, if I update them they don't. They're from 2015 as opposed to the 2018 ones that have been released.
    Thank you. So would you say there is any risk though?
  • rebit
    lucamotoc said:
    rebit said:
    lucamotoc said:
    rebit said:

Thank you. So would you say there is any risk though?
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031612/graphics-drivers.html

Acer are failing in their responsibility to issue drivers for the affected machines. You should know their support once a machine is out of warranty is quite poor.
  • Serious
    Serious Member Posts: 1 New User
    Looking to see if Rebit is still around.  I have F5-573T-545K which always had 1920x1080 display option even with my HD 620 graphics card.  But now that's gone.  Either a flag has been checked or unchecked or some software has swooped in, but boy would I ever like to get back my 1920x1080 option.  I've tried restore, I've uninstalled the HD 620 driver and reinstalled with what would be the most current version - all to no avail.