Acer Aspire 3 A315-51-39YY not booting

Henry2019
Henry2019 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought an Acer Aspire 3 A315-51-39YY, but recently while I was using it; it froze and I need to force shut down. When I tried logging in it is no longer booting.
I tried repair but but it didn't work. At first, I can find a restore point which helped me log in the system. After shutting down normally and tried to log back in the next day I had the same problem that windows isn't loading. When I tried to access the restore point again I can no longer find it.
Also tried the reset advised pressing pinhole to disconnect battery.
Never had this issue with previous used laptops I bought. How come I'm having this problem with a brand new Acer laptop?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Shut the computer completely off. Then turn it back on again and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. As shown in the video below, you can try to refresh your system and save your personal files or do a factory re-set which erases everything and reinstalls Win10. You should back up your personal files before attempting a factory reset. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

I already did that and it only kept on showing me error that recovery failed. Now I can no longer see my drives under UEFI. To see it, I need to switch to Legacy. 
    Previously, it can be viewed under UEFI, really getting frustrated that a brand new laptop I bought which happens to be acer is the first to give me this much headache. 
    Thought this is a good buy.
  • JackE
    Henry2019 >>>Now I can no longer see my drives under UEFI. To see it, I need to switch to Legacy.>>>

Sorry, this suggests the HDD or SSD boot drive was converted from  GPT to MBR partitioning. Most likely by an USB installation boot drive with MBR partitioning with BIOS in Legacy mode. Once converted, the HDD's recovery partition is lost.

You have two choices.

(1) You can re-install the Microsoft generic version of Win10 for free, preferrably in UEFI mode, using Microsoft's USB installation creation tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recover   However you might have to download and install drivers from the ACER site for devices that don't seem to work properly after installing the generic version. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7210?b=1

(2) You may be able to get the ACER USB or DVD version of Win10 with all the correct drivers based on your machine's serial number id (SNID) from ACER Phillipines at nominal cost.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

Already have windows 10 on USB using microsoft USB installation tool and tried to re install it but it did not work at all. That was the time I noticed that I can no longer find my drive under UEFI. Need to revover my files but unable to because I can't see them when I tried to access them from another laptop; though I can see the folders. Tried showing hidden files but still it didn't show.
  • JackE
    Your HDD apparently had been previously converted to MBR partitioning. If you tried to re-install Win10 in UEFI mode, you must disable secure boot or the USB installation won't work. You would also either lose or corrupt personal files on the MBR HDD if it installed or even partially installed in UEFI mode. The HDD's personal files might be able to be recovered on another computer if the HDD is attached to a USB port with a USB to SATA3 HDD adapter cable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

Already tried attaching the hard drive using USB with SATA adapter cable but can't find my files under Downloads folder where most of them were placed. But I can find the ones placed under My Docs and Pics. 
    I did not do any conversion to MBR when I attempted to fix my windows 10 OS which is why I am puzzled why I can no longer find my drive under UEFI.
  • JackE
    With the drive attached to the other computer's USB port, press the Winkey+Rkey and enter  'diskmgmt.msc' on the other computer. If you can please post a screenshot of the result. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

Hi,

As requested, please see attached screenshot for reference. I'm really getting frustrated having a brand new laptop I can't use.
    I am planning to reformat and re install windows after I recover my files. Please also advise where can I get drivers for Acer Aspire 3 laptop.
  • JackE
    You should be able to read the E : drive on the other computer using its File Explorer app. Looks like about 400GB of Windows system files on the E : drive plus your own personal files and programs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

That's what I aldo know but it isn't showing any file. My downloads folder and My Documents folder as well as the other folders are showing no files.
  • JackE
    What Windows version is on this other computer? You may have to adjust File Explorer view settings to show file details along with showing all file extensions and hidden files. Also right click the E : drive in File Explorer to make sure there are no security or other settings that aren't allowing full access to the E : drive.  If you're still having problems, we can then go to the command prompt and get the files off the disk. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

The other computer is also windows 10 and I already adjusted it to show hidden files and folders as well as the details.
    My Acer laptop is password protected when it was working. Could it be possible that it is the reason why I am not having full access? If so, how can I access my files.
    Whenever I hover over Downloads, My Documents and Pictures folder; windows is saying that those folders are empty.
    Really need my files as well as the drivers for my laptop as I'm planning to reformat it to hopefully make it function again.
  • JackE
    Right click a blank space on the desktop. Create a new shortcut to 'cmd.exe'. Right click on the 'cmd.exe' and run as administrator. At the C \: > command prompt, enter 'E :' . The E \: > prompt should appear. At the E prompt enter 'dir /a' . Do you see any files? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

Yes I do see files. Please see attached screenshot for reference.
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    OK. At the E :> prompt, enter 'cd users'. It should change to the e :\users\> prompt. Then enter 'dir /a'. Do you see a directory or folder <DIR> with your username on it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

Yes I can, please see screenshot attached for reference.
  • JackE
    OK.  Now at the E :\users> prompt, enter 'cd henry'. Then  at the E :\users\henry\> prompt enter 'dir'. You should see your Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc directories or folders <DIR>. For example, you can enter 'cd Documents' which will take you to the
    E :\users\henry\Documents> prompt. At this prompt enter 'dir /a'. It should show all the documents you have saved in that folder or directory. What do you see? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

I can see the list of my files under the folder I selected
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    OK. Let's do a test on one of the files to see if we can copy it to the C : \ folder on the other computer. What is the name of the file that you would like to do a test on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Henry2019

Tinkerer

Can I try copying the whole folder named New CVs?