Acer Nitro 5 keyboard Backlight not stay on all the time on AC Power after Bios v1.11 upgrade

Aura2456
Aura2456 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I just upgraded my Bios from v1.09 to v1.11 and my keyboard backlight will no longer stay on all the time on AC power. I get that it goes off after 30 seconds on battery power, but did the upgrade shut of the ability to leave it on all the time when on AC power? I prefer to have the keys lit all the time while it's plugged in. Please help...

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback provided on this matter, please keep in mind that the backlight automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke, is a power saving feature (mostly found in our newer models) as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this feature if your model is not eligible for the following BIOS update:

A "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" function has been implemented for the following models only: 

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Aspire T7000

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A715-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH315-51

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A717-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-52

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-53

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH317-52

2019/03/20

Download

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Nitro AN515-42

2019/03/08

Download

Note: Please keep in mind that this implementation (Main tab) will allow users to Disable the "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only if the unit is on battery power, it will work as intended (automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke). You can check periodically for any drivers, manuals and BIOS updates here: Drivers&Manual official page

Please follow the "Disable keyboard backlight timeout" instructions (FAQ):

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61998#_ga=2.159783933.1374864991.1552488642-1045363774.1531752932

BIOS changes example:

Note: This thread will be now closed and this reply will be marked as the solution.

Best Regards,

Acer-Manny

Answers

• AumShanti
    AumShanti Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Hi, yes, sadly.. i too am stuck on BIOS 1.10 because of this backlight timeout in 1.11. if and when Acer will fix this, no one knows.
  • Aura2456
    AumShanti said:
    Hi, yes, sadly.. i too am stuck on BIOS 1.10 because of this backlight timeout in 1.11. if and when Acer will fix this, no one knows.
    Thank you AumShanti :) 
  • AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Apparently they are fixing it in March. Took them long enough, I first reported it back in November...
  • Aura2456
    AMDKilla said:
    Apparently they are fixing it in March. Took them long enough, I first reported it back in November...
    OHH Nice!! Will that be another Bios upgrade?

• Zero_dB
    Zero_dB Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    The thing that you have to do to bring back your happiness is to roll back to previous bios

Ive go to 1.22 as im intel nitro5    then finally ive to roll back to 1.19

• charliegarg
    charliegarg Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Aura2456 said:
    Hi,

I just upgraded my Bios from v1.09 to v1.11 and my keyboard backlight will no longer stay on all the time on AC power. I get that it goes off after 30 seconds on battery power, but did the upgrade shut of the ability to leave it on all the time when on AC power? I prefer to have the keys lit all the time while it's plugged in. Please help...

Update 1.24 is up....have you tried that
  • Aura2456
    edited March 2019
    Aura2456 said:
    Hi,

Update 1.24 is up....have you tried that
    When I enter my serial number on the acer website, it only shows the max bios version to upgrade to as v1.12...
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    It's likely every person here responding is on a different model Nitro 5 with a different BIOS. From what I can see, the only models with a March BIOS release (so far) are the AN515-52 & AN515-53 (v1.24).

For what it's worth; if you have an AN515-51 and BIOS v1.21 the backlight stays on indefinitely, or can be turned off with FN+F9. There is no time-out feature for this model and BIOS version that I can tell.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    edited March 2019
    Hi all,

An "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option will be added to the BIOS menu in a future update version 1.25, this will allow users to Disable the option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only, if the unit is on Battery power, it will work as intended (30 sec. timeout). 

We will update and notify when the BIOS update becomes available for download Drivers&Manual official page

***Update***
    • The BIOS update version 1.25 for model A715-72G is out for download from our official Drivers and Manuals page here.
    • The BIOS update version 1.13 for model AN515-42 is out for download from our official Drivers and Manuals page here.

Note: Please keep in mind that models: 
    A717-72G
    AN515-52
    AN515-53
    PH315-51  

should be also included, please check periodically for updates.

Thanks for patience,
    Acer-Manny 
  • Aura2456
    Hi all,

An "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option will be added to the BIOS menu in a future update version 1.25, this will allow users to Disable the option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only, if the unit is on Battery power, it will work as intended (30 sec. timeout). 

We will update and notify when the BIOS update becomes available for download Drivers&Manual official page

***Update***
    • The BIOS update version 1.25 for model A715-72G is out for download from our official Drivers and Manuals page here.
    • The BIOS update version 1.13 for model AN515-42 is out for download from our official Drivers and Manuals page here.

A717-72G
    AN515-52
    AN515-53
    PH315-51  

Thanks for patience,
    Acer-Manny 
    THANK YOU Acer-Manny!!!
  • zyx
    zyx Member Posts: 4 New User
    i updated the bios to the latest but forget to enabled the keyboard lighting timeout... are there any ways to enabled it ? other way than change it in bios? because my laptop will got problems when updating bios

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited April 2019
    zyx said:
    i updated the bios to the latest but forget to enabled the keyboard lighting timeout... are there any ways to enabled it ? other way than change it in bios? because my laptop will got problems when updating bios

if you updated to the latest Bios then all you have to do is enter the Bios settings and change the keyboard timeout as illustrated above. This is not updating the Bios again it is just changing a setting in your already updated Bios and will cause no Bios problems, press F2 on bootup to enter the settings menu

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Amiga1
    Amiga1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Aura2456 said:
    Hi all,

***Update***

A717-72G
    AN515-52
    AN515-53
    PH315-51  

Thanks for patience,
    Acer-Manny 
    THANK YOU Acer-Manny!!!
    Excellent. Only had it a few days and the keyboard light issue was really bugging me!!
  • Harsh3338
    Harsh3338 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Not sure if this is a late post, but let me put it out there.
    I am using Nitro 5 AN515-43, and found a solution for the Keyboard back light.

-> Open NitroSense application (default app for Fan control), if you don't have it please download from the Acer website & install the latest version, if it is supported for your machine.
    -> Go to Settings (Click on the gear icon you find on top right corner).
    -> You will find Keyboard Setting there, just below that "Backlight off after 30 Seconds" -> just Disable this option and you are good to go.
    -> To increase the backlight brightness press Fn + F10
    -> To decrease the backlight brightness press Fn + F9
    -> You're Welcome :-)

• rascalate
    rascalate Member Posts: 1 New User
    Harsh3338 said:
    Not sure if this is a late post, but let me put it out there.
    I am using Nitro 5 AN515-43, and found a solution for the Keyboard back light.

-> Open NitroSense application (default app for Fan control), if you don't have it please download from the Acer website & install the latest version, if it is supported for your machine.
    -> Go to Settings (Click on the gear icon you find on top right corner).
    -> You will find Keyboard Setting there, just below that "Backlight off after 30 Seconds" -> just Disable this option and you are good to go.
    -> To increase the backlight brightness press Fn + F10
    -> To decrease the backlight brightness press Fn + F9
    -> You're Welcome :-)

OMG thank you!!! I registered just to post this! Blessings to you sir and a wonderful 2020!
  • AlienHand
    AlienHand Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    When are Acer going to fix the backlight problem when running on battery? I want the backlight NEVER to turn off when using battery as every other Acer user. Why can't Acer make this optional for Acer users to choose what option they want? Is Acer lacking competent programmers or do they just ***** on their customers even after buying an Acer laptop for +$1000 !?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    AlienHand said:
    When are Acer going to fix the backlight problem when running on battery? I want the backlight NEVER to turn off when using battery as every other Acer user. Why can't Acer make this optional for Acer users to choose what option they want? Is Acer lacking competent programmers or do they just ***** on their customers even after buying an Acer laptop for +$1000 !?

It has not been a popular request to have the backlight never turn off on battery. This would drain the battery very quickly so it isn't a popularly requested feature

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback provided on this matter, please keep in mind that the backlight automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke, is a power saving feature (mostly found in our newer models) as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this feature if your model is not eligible for the following BIOS update:

A "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" function has been implemented for the following models only: 

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Aspire T7000

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A715-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH315-51

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A717-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-52

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-53

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH317-52

2019/03/20

Download

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Nitro AN515-42

2019/03/08

Download

Note: Please keep in mind that this implementation (Main tab) will allow users to Disable the "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only if the unit is on battery power, it will work as intended (automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke). You can check periodically for any drivers, manuals and BIOS updates here: Drivers&Manual official page

Please follow the "Disable keyboard backlight timeout" instructions (FAQ):

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61998#_ga=2.159783933.1374864991.1552488642-1045363774.1531752932

BIOS changes example:

Note: This thread will be now closed and this reply will be marked as the solution.

Best Regards,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.