Aspire USB ports dying? Aspire E5-573G

somnomania
somnomania Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Aspire E5-573G laptop that I bought new in 2015. Over the last few months, I feel the USB ports have been slowly dying; things involving LED lights or fans end up with variable amounts of power if I wiggle the plug at all, and the cooling unit I have has to have a folded bit of paper wedged in on top of the plug to make sure it has full power while running. The headphone jack is also questionable, which I thought at first was my headphones (something happened to the plug on them that left it slightly askew), but they work fine everywhere else. It's definitely not software related. So, my question: would I need to buy specific new USB/headphone ports to make sure they work with this laptop, or would any generic set work?

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning somnomania !

There may be a flaw in your battery's power options.
    Make sure the device is set to High Performance in the power options.
    Always use plugged in?

Also check the power settings of the USB inputs:

httpsimagesdrivereasycomwp-contentuploads201712img_5a3a1ad99fbe8png

Please perform the following procedures:

CALIBRATION AND BATTERY RESET

First, disable Quick Start in the power options and disconnect the notebook from the power outlet.

httpswwwhowtogeekcomwp-contentuploads201602fast-startup-650x313pngpagespeedcekM3Qa70mcUpng

BATTERY CONTROLLER RESET
    Access the device manager and look for the "acpi-compatible control method battery driver" and give it up.
    Then restart the notebook for Windows to reinstall and remove any errors.

httpsimagesdrivereasycomwp-contentuploads201811img_5bfe7020cb7efjpg

Process to reset the battery

Disconnect the power adapter.
        Locate the hole to reset the battery in the bottom of the computer.
        He inserted a small clip into the hole. Hold the reset button for 05 seconds.
        Let the computer rest for 5 minutes without power.
        Plug in the power adapter and turn on the system.

The button is the type that is identified in the photo.

External Battery Pack

If your notebook has an external battery, proceed as follows:
    1- Unplug the appliance from the mains and then disconnect the battery.
    2- Press the power button for thirty seconds, so that the static power is dissipated.
    3 - Replace the battery and turn the unit on.

Process for calibrating the battery

For this, you must turn off the device and give a 100% charge.
    Then unplug and use the battery until the battery runs out.
    Reload it as before.
    Repeat the process 3 times so that all cells are fully calibrated.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• somnomania
    somnomania Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Thank you for replying. I've tried all those things, and while the USB settings seemed to make a difference at first, once I had a chance to do my usual setup of peripherals, things were still acting as if I'd disconnected them if I so much as bumped one of the plugs. The laptop IS fairly old at this point, as laptops go, and all of the USB ports as well as the headphone jack have seen near constant use since I bought the laptop. If the hardware is dying, it wouldn't surprise me at all.