Helios 500 PH517-51 Black Screen or Reboot on Wake from Sleep

GuybrushThreepwood
GuybrushThreepwood Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi everyone,

I bought the Helios 500 PH517-51 (i7-8750h, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM) back in October, and since November I noticed that occasionally when I wake the laptop from sleep, it will hang on a black screen. Sometimes, if I wait a few seconds, the laptop will reboot on its own (the logs claim it reboots from a bugcheck 0x0000010e: video_memory_management_internal), but other times the laptop will hang indefinitely until I hold down the power button to reboot it. While it hangs, the touchpad lights up and the fans are running, but it doesn't respond to any key presses or mouse clicks. When putting the laptop to sleep, it appears to fall asleep normally, as the standby light is still blinking, but sometimes the log will say "the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first". This issue can happen as often as two days in a row, but at one point I have gone two weeks without it happening before it came back.

I have tried various adjustments, but every time I think I fix it the issue reappears.

Here are a few things I have tried:
-Disabled Killer Network Service (fixed the memory leak issue with psadminagent)
-Updated BIOS to V1.16
-Updated to Windows 1809
-Disabled hibernation and fast startup
-Updated graphics drivers with clean install, currently on version 418.81
-Turned off GSYNC (currently on)
-Reset graphics driver with Windows button + Ctrl + Shift + B after playing games
-Turned off Wake on LAN and Wake on Magic Packet on wifi and ethernet adapters
-Went to Device Manager > System Devices > Intel Management Engine Interface and unchecked "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
-Changed to Balanced power plan
-Set computer to never sleep in power plan
-Set maximum processor state to 99% before putting laptop to sleep
-Turned off link state power management in power plan
-Disabled link power in Intel Rapid Storage Technology (currently left enabled)

There might have been a few other things I tried in the past few months that I may have missed, but I'll post them if I recall them.

Thank you guys.

Answers

• Have you tried updating your video drivers? www.intel.com and www.nvidia.com
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GuybrushThreepwood
    I have been updating the video drivers regularly but to no avail.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,305 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019
    OK! Update the other drivers with this program and then post the result: https://drp.su/en
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/0x0000010e-video-memory-management-internal/
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GuybrushThreepwood
    I updated the drivers and have been testing the laptop for a few weeks and I still get the issue, either a reboot from the bugcheck or a black screen that hangs indefinitely upon wake.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,305 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Can you tell me the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz! This model came with the ssd intel 760p? There is a firmware update on the acer website for this ssd model, when selecting the ph517-51 model! Have you tried reinstalling the operating system by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GuybrushThreepwood
    The model is PH517-51-79E8. It also doesn't have an intel ssd, it has an SK hynix ssd. And I haven't tried reinstalling the OS yet.
  • Is windows installed in ssd or hd? Try reinstalling the operating system by pressing alt + f10! Have you checked if there is any firmware for ssd? Does this black screen problem occur on an external monitor?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer