Recovery DVDs not working

cosine
cosine Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
A friend of mine bought an Aspire A315-53 laptop, which didn't come with Windows 10 preinstalled. I suggested he contacted Acer, and buy a set of recovery discs, which he did, but couldn't get to work, so he asked me to look at it.
Upon booting the "boot disc", the recovery program detects the 120GB SSD having 180149398509482000GB free, and if I proceed anyway, I get a (very) long winded directory not found error, and the progress bar sits at 0%.
Is this simply a case of the acer recovery program unable to parse the SSD correctly, or something more sinister? I booted to a linux environment, and it detects the SSD just fine, however the BIOS shows no drives installed.

Thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,847 Trailblazer
    >>> didn't come with Windows 10 preinstalled. >>> I suggested he contacted Acer, and buy a set of recovery discs, which he did, but couldn't get to work, so he asked me to look at it. >>>>

If Win10 wasn't pre-installed, is there any indication on the recovery discs that they are in fact from ACER and for this particular model. The reason  I ask is that the ACER Win10 recovery discs or USB sticks are usually based on the model and the model's serial number id(SNID) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cosine
    cosine Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Yeah, He said he contacted them, and they sent a set out, it has the laptops model number on them.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,847 Trailblazer
    Is the BIOS set to UEFI mode and secure boot disabled? If not, you may have to set a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to change these settings. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ