COMPLAINT: Acer Windows 10 drivers Aspire E15 i7-8550u

Options
Alpine
Alpine Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
is ACER not ISO9001 compliant?
The Intel automatic driver update utility no longer updates my Graphics driver any more since a few months, apparently ACER is no longer up-to-date with its standards or has something proprietary that blocks the update, this is unacceptable ACER should remain industry standard compatible for its components.
I use the microsoft and Intel automatic update features and don't wish to rely on Acer for any of this as they are mostly obsolete.
Aspire E15 i7-8550u windows 10 Build 17763.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    Options
    What is your full model number E5-xxx? What issues are you experiencing with the ACER-specific device drivers that you feel generic Microsoft or Intel device drivers will fix? Changing from ACER-specific to generic drivers is NOT usually recommended mainly due to overall system hardware design. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Alpine

Tinkerer

Options
    My model is the: E5-576G-85K1 I7-8550U

It is a matter of approach, I wish to remain constantly fully up-to-date with all drivers, BIOS, etc. In particular Microsoft and Intel and anything security related. No proprietary dependency. The latest graphics display 620 driver from Intel should function, as before.
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. It's not a recommended approach just because the driver datestamps might be earlier. You risk crippling the system with generic drivers since the mainboard design is proprietary. 'Fully up-to-date' generic drivers don't mean much. Even the ACER Win10 system files may be different from the Microsoft generic files. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Alpine

Tinkerer

Options
    Good Housekeeping.
    In that case, if you put e.g. Microsoft, Nvidia, Intel updates in question and you still remain not DCH drivers compatible Acer should have an automatic update feature like Microsoft or checking/update application like Intel or notification/update like Nvidia and so many others.
    Simply a good housekeeping rule.
    An Acer notification/update feature that checks the PC in question and makes the appropriate updates, depending on its status.
  • rebit
    rebit Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have raised a ticket with Acer today because the old drivers are vulnerable to Intel SA-00089 & SA-00095 with a CVSS rating of 7.2 and 8.8.

I agree with @Alpine Acer should fulfil obligations as an OEM (like DELL for a similarly aged notebook have released driver updates) the fact is their technical support is very poor in comparison to some brands.
  • Alpine

Tinkerer

Options
    Looking forward to the position of ACER for their proprietary driver support, virtually all of ACER's latest driver updates date back to 2017, where is the ACER DCH Driver support?

It is NOT a good policy to start tinkering with Microsoft / Intel / Nvidia or other software as very quickly ACER non industry standard proprietary versions become obsolete, the end users end up in a dead-end street of being non-compliant with the latest security and other technical issues or support for features.

This is an almost entirely software controlled world that should be left to those that have the primary control levers and adequate resources.
  • JackE
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I suggest that you post your questions and suggestion. The community forums are mainly for users helping users moderated by but not usually answered/commented on by ACER employees.   Jack E/NJ

[Edited link]

Jack E/NJ