Good video card upgrade for Gateway DX4860

Options
Pacman750
Pacman750 Member Posts: 1 New User
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the best video card upgrade would be on a Gateway DX4860. I recently tried installing an MSI Radeon RX 570 8Gb card and I kept getting error code 43 in device manager, so I think it's probably out of my motherboard's league. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @Pacman750

I'm not very good at troubleshooting video cards, but I'll give you a link so you can see what other people have installed in their DX4860.  I would pay close attention to what BIOS version they are running (in the link below).  Some are possibly running different series of Intel motherboards, but you should be able to figure out if someone has your same motherboard by their BIOS date.

To check your BIOS date......

1. Right click on the Windows start button.
    2. Left click on Run
    3. Type msinfo32
    4. Click ok.

Important Note:  Most of the people in link below have probably upgraded their power supply.  And there's always a slight chance they had to jury-rig their computer to get some of the bigger cards to fit....e.g. disconnect a cable so the card would fit.  

Someone is running a RX 570, but not sure if they have your same motherboard.  Good luck!

https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Gateway-DX4860/1415
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • BPCD1999
    BPCD1999 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    As a Gateway DX4860 owner here. ZOTAC's GeForce RTX 2060 is compatible with the DX4860 as I have one installed in mine now and don't have any issues with it. I would recommend NVIDIA GPU for your computer
  • BPCD1999
    BPCD1999 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    Proof that the RTX 2060 is compatible with the DX4860:

• Moochiek
    Moochiek Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    These machines came with an early UEFI support and due to many video cards using a bios which tries EFI/legacy mode, they will not work. I have tried EVGA GTX 1050 Ti (stuck at boot-up with Gateway logo squeezed to the left size of the screen, eventually goes to Windows but card running as Microsoft compatible and will not install drivers). Also tried MSI RX 480, Sapphire RX 470, MSI RX 580, Sapphire R8 280X. All show black screen and random beeps, sometimes many seconds apart. I finally got MSI RX 480 working after finding online guide how to modify the card's BIOS (2 changes) to basically force legacy bios mode. Works perfectly now, no need for modified drivers or anything.
    My DX4860 is the one that won't accept the 2013 BIOS, only the P3 2012 one. I guess there may be newer boards which are more compatible. Anyway, it's possible with some extra work.

Gateway DX4860
    Intel i5-3450 CPU
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    Kingston A400 240GB SSD
    2TB HDD
    MSI RX480 4GB Graphics Card (reference design)
    Windows 10 Home
  • BakeN420
    BakeN420 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
     BPCD1999 said:
    As a Gateway DX4860 owner here. ZOTAC's GeForce RTX 2060 is compatible with the DX4860 as I have one installed in mine now and don't have any issues with it. I would recommend NVIDIA GPU for your computer
    I have A Gateway DX 4860 series 
    Intel Core i7
    AMD Radeon HD 6670 2GB
    2TB Hard Drive
    8GB DDR3 Memory 

my question to you BPCD1999 is did you have to upgrade
    anything else with your desktop your is it just plug and play and it fit well too?
    im new to this and i want to make sure i have everything i need to build :) 
  • Sam998877
    Sam998877 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I was wondering if gateway 4870 is compatible with the rtx 2060 graphics card