+ External CD/DVD Drive not working - help! +

Options
IRequireAssistance
IRequireAssistance Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So I recently purchased some disks for an old nostalgia game, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to want to work with my external DVD drive. 

Got the USB drive in the mail today, plugged it in, and at first it worked. It took the the first installation disk and then asked for the second, but once I put the second disk in the external drive suddenly wasn't recognized anymore. It kept asking me to put the second disk in despite it already being in the drive. 

I've tried a few different things but no luck. I was wondering if anyone had a solution?

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You want to reinstall windows 10, correct? The ideal would be to use a pendrive to install windows! Did you check if bios recognizes the external dvd driver?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • IRequireAssistance
    IRequireAssistance Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You want to reinstall windows 10, correct? The ideal would be to use a pendrive to install windows! Did you check if bios recognizes the external dvd driver?
    I don't think I want to reinstall it, no. Unless that would help? The issue is that Windows 10 is not accepting my external DVD/CD drive. 

Im trying to download a game thats on a disk, using an external drive. Windows 10 doesn't seem to want to run the disk though, and doesn't even acknowledge it in the drive.

Though, how would I check if bios recognizes the drive? 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! I understand now! Are there any devices with problems in the device manager?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @IRequireAssistance why use an external drive if you could create an iso image of the game itself and run it on any virtual drive (alchool 120%, poweriso, daemontools etc...) and regarding your external drive windows 10 might not even have drivers for it did you checked if the drive is recognized in the bios (for this you would have to disavle secure boot and swap to legacy mode) also bare in mind that most (if not all) of the external cd/dvd r/rw drives use a usb cable with micro usb input to the drive and 2x usb as they need to use 2 usb ports to be able to work one to power the drive the other to power the read write and make the windows recognize it (data) if you are using this cable an windows still not recognize it i would say either the drive needs especial drivers (check manufaturer website) to be able to work (check device manager for unknown devices) or the drive itself is faulty

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/