Acer Aspire v5-573g losing secondary hard drive

Caesum
Caesum Member Posts: 24 Networker
Recently I have installed a new SSD disk on my Acer Aspire v5-573g. The SSD disk works well, but I have noticed the laptop has started acting strangely ever since. Generally it looks like the old optical HDD sometimes gets lost by either operating system or laptop itself, or as if there was some power failure that makes it disappear. You just have to turn off laptop, then turn on again and HDD starts working again. It seems to happen randomly and there are no related errors in the event log. I am quite confused. At first I thought it's the drive being faulty, but then again it started happening only after I changed it from main HDD to secondary (so after SSD installation). Could it be some bios issue, or power plan problem?

My specs:
Acer Aspire v5-573g
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
InsydeH2O Version 03.73.06V2.30 (type: BIOS)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

Main SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO mSATA 250GB
Secondary HDD (old one): ST1000LM014-1EJ164

Also added full Dxdiag if it gives any additional info.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You probably need to re-seat the old drive a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts to the mainboard if you have done so already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Well, let us know if it still happens after re-seating it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    You probably need to re-seat the old drive a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts to the mainboard if you have done so already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    I have reseat it already actually. Not sure if this was the problem at all though since I haven't even touched it when adding new SSD drive.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Well, let us know if it still happens after re-seating it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    Well it seems it actually was the reason as the drive's been behaving rather well lately. Will write again if something bad happens.
  • JackE
    Thanks for letting us know. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    edited April 2019
    I'm afraid I have to bump this topic since the issue occured again just a moment ago. My hard drive just suddenly disappeared again, but it reappeared when I put laptop to sleep and woke it up (by closing and opening the lid). This time though I found out there are logs in the Event Viewer regarding disk malfunction:

ERROR: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
    WARNING: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.
    WARNING: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation.
    WARNING: Disk 0 has been surprise removed.

The strangest thing though is that when I do chksdk /r, it doesn't find any bad sectors. It says everything is okay. Any ideas?

• JackE
    >>>WARNING: Disk 0 has been surprise removed.>>>

I think I just heard an echo. "You probably need to re-seat the old drive a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts to the mainboard if you haven't done so already" =) Time to open it up and do it again. Is this machine used often in a fairly warm moist environment? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    I did it already earlier though. Also the warnings appeared after the bad block error. Could bad block error appear because of laptop losing connection with the drive? The "surprise removed" warning could have just been an outcome of earlier warning "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued." though.

• JackE
    >>>Generally it looks like the old optical HDD sometimes gets lost >>>

Are we still talking about this drive? And optical drive is NOT an HDD drive. It is a DVD/CD disc reader/writer unless an HDD/SSD caddy is used? It typically would not be called drive 0. Drive 0 typically would be in the same compartment the original HDD was installed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    edited April 2019
    Oh no no I'm talking about the HDD all the time, sorry about the confusion. My laptop doesn't even have a CD/DVD drive.
  • JackE
    It's remotely possible the HDD (drive0) connector, cable or its mainboard connector has a loose solder joint. However, it's much more likely that it's a dirty connection. Have you been re-seating HDD drive0 and cable as in the image below or something else? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    edited April 2019
    No, exactly that way as in the image. Well maybe I need to repeat it several times once more. Or maybe this is due to the fact that the HDD isn't actually screwed anywhere, just connected (it was like that by default, when I first opened it). I gather the casing should keep it in place but maybe it doesn't.
  • JackE
    If the HDD is loose and possibly moving around a bit, you can help immobilize & protect it with a bit of foam. I actually use foam to eliminate the hassle of fussing with small screws and HDD brackets. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    Hey, so reseated HDD again (several times) because it started the same issue again. But I am still facing this. In the Event Viewer I found information about bad block, but cannot find any bad blocks through any tool I know.

This is the event log and result of the disk checking tool. As you can see, there seems to be a bad block according to Windows, but it cannot be found by the tool. Can someone explain me what's going on?
  • JackE
    Use Windows HDD/SSD error checker. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    Used it and it says there were no errors found.
  • JackE
    Is this the first time in almost 2 months that you temporarily lost D? You're obviously seeing it again, at least intermittently, if you can error check it. Did you immobilize the drive with foam like we discussed earlier? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    edited June 2019
    Not with the actual foam (I'm not actually sure what foam you mean) but I did reseat it and made sure it stays firm. Didn't help it unfortunately. BUT it started making noises, so I think it might actually have broken some of the moving parts resulting in sudden disappearing. I think the only thing left for me is to actually buy a new HDD. Will let you know if after changing it to a new one the problem still persists.
  • JackE
    If noises sound like 'clicking', then yes the drive is starting to fail. The foam is antistatic variety, usually black or dark in color, that is commonly used to pack new electronics in their cardboard shipping boxes. If you get a new HDD or SSD, it'll probably have some of this type of foam inside the box. Save some as it can come in handy. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Caesum
    edited December 2019
    After last post I have turned off the hard disk entirely only to find out the clicking noise was actually the fan lol. That being said after recent Windows 10 updates the secondary hard disk reappeared by itself and now it does not disappear randomly. I have also reinstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology and so far I am not facing the issue anymore. I think this was either a bug in Windows 10 related to Sleep mode, or something related to Rapid Storage, but the issue seems to be gone.
    So, if anyone's facing the issue like this, remember to update the OS to the newest version, reinstall Rapid Storage utility (best to use original file provided by acer) and remember to actually shut down the laptop from time to time. I think this might be some Sleep/Power Management issue so doing these steps might help you in resolving this problem.