Nitro 5 AN515-42 BIOS UPDATE 1.12... what it does exactly? /PROBLEMS

C3lv1c3
C3lv1c3 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Changelog is:
1.Add SCCM solution. 2.Change touch pad mode from basic to advance for linux sku

What exactly does the changelog mean?
Laptop feels slower after update also.

Best Answer

• Griisu
    Griisu Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Sorry for the late reply. I just save all my data and did a clean Ubuntu installation. And it was worth the time since it solved 2 problems for me.

Clean Ubuntu installation solved the following problems:
    *external Screen not detected (solve)
    *much slower booting (solved)

Seems the bios update broke something in my operating system and forced me to make a clean installation. (In windows it forced me to reinstall most of the drivers ...)

Unfortunately it has not helped my touch pad issue. I tried quit a few things and it seems that for what reason ever Ubuntu doesn't detect my touch pad anymore.

C3lv1c3 I already reinstalled and update all my Drivers, thx for the help but that got it to "work" in windows but I'm stuck with the default behaviour.
    egydiocoelho thanks a lot for your help. I already tried the gnome tweaks but unfortunately they won't help if Ubuntu doesn't detect the hardware. Guess I have to wait till the software is again up to date.

Answers

• There are reports that this version of bios turns off the keyboard light every thirty seconds, even the notebook being connected to the power adapter!
    This changelog indicates that the linux operating system will accept the advanced mouse mode, which includes widening through the touchpad, among other functions!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Alexis0034
    Alexis0034 Member Posts: 1 New User
    can someone help me? after updating my bios to 1.12 my audio stopped working. i tried every possible solutions.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Griisu

Tinkerer

Well i have the following problems with this update:
    1.) The touch pad is not working anymore.
    2.) The external screen is not detected anymore.
  • Have you tried pressing f9 to restore the bios and then f10 to save on exiting? Have you put the touchpad in basic?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Griisu

Tinkerer

Let's add some more information:

First:
    I bought this laptop with Linux preinstalled to use with Linux (in my case  Ubuntu).
    There is a problem with acpi that force me to use the code pci=noacpi to boot to linux and I hoped, that the bios update might have some improvement here. The last 2 updats (1.09 to 1.10 and than to 1.11 increased the performance of the laptop, The back light issue is not that bad for me since I didn't use back light before). Unfortunately the last update has only negative had negative impact on my laptop as far as I can see. Touch pad not working, no external monitor and it also needs quite a bit longer too boot.
    In console i can get information on both graphic cards, but unfortunately 'xrandr --listproviders' shows no providers instead of my cards. Also the touch pad shows in console as Synaptics but it doesn't respond. And yes I tried if it was just turned off. Driver updates don't have any effects either.

With windows I got both "working" by reinstalling the drivers. But I can't configure the touch pad at all and there are still 2 'unknown' Symbols in the hardware monitor after reinstalling all drivers. And yes I also tried a clean installation of Win 10 too.

Btw the suggestion with pressing F9 in bios and saving didn't do anything at all. But thanks for trying to help.

• Hello again! Could you tell the exact model of your notebook? Example an515-51-75kz!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Griisu

Tinkerer

an515-42-R6UP

And thanks for the fast response.
  • On the touchpad, have you changed the touchpad function to basic and then to advanced in bios? On the other devices, can you copy the idhardware from those devices?

Do not copy idhardware from the usb port, but from devices that have no drivers installed!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Griisu

Tinkerer

I didn't see any option that might suggest that i changes thetouch pad from advance to basic or the other way.
    Any the other hardware/driver problem in windows I was able to identify as pci and acpi (dejavu). Not sure If a newer Win 10 build would have a workaround for this firmware problem but I don't want to use windows anyway.

I wonder if I should rollback bios to 1.11 and wait for one with less bugs.
  • OK! I am referring to this touchpad option:

Switch to basic and make sure the touchpad works! Also try pressing the fn + f7 keys to activate the touchpad!
    About the other drivers, I suggest you download this program to update the drivers: http://download.drp.su/17-online/DriverPack-17-Online_1991222665.1544923988.exe
    There is no virus!
    I recommend you uncheck these programs:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Griisu

Tinkerer

I thought so. But as you can see this option is not available for me. Also I already tried fn+f7 more than once.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Griisu

Tinkerer

Thanks a lot for trying to help.

I sure hope that guys from Acer look in this section too. So they get a hint of what they have to fix in the future. The laptop would be really good imo if they could finally fix their bios.
  • Have you tried the above suggestion?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Griisu

Tinkerer

No I didn't try that yet, but since they released the bios version 1.13 today I gave it a shot.
    For every1 that want's to change to 1.13 there is a line in the main tab that allows to disable back light timer.

In my case bios 1.13 didn't address my problems with 1.12.
    Therefore the following problems are still there:
    *can't change between basic and advanced touch pad in bios
    *can't change touch pad settings in windows (but i can activate and deactivate it, it's always deactivated and startup)
    *error message in windows hardware manager for pci and acpi (think that is the reason i need to use pci=noacpi to start up linux)
    *No external Screen in Linux (have no idea how to solve that with bios 1.12/1.13 till now)
    *Touchpad not working in Linux (possible that it's cause by touchpad being disabled by default and fn+f7 not working in linux but need to test that)

Well maybe I have time a bit later to work on this. (since i normally use an external mouse the touchpad is not such a big problem, just annoying speciall if i have to take my laptop somewhere else.) The external screen is bad since it's way better for watching videos than the internal but at least I can do something)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    I believe I found a possible one for the touchpad problem in linux! The site is in Portuguese, but I believe you can understand, using google translate, see: https://sempreupdate.com.br/como-corrigir-erro-do-touchpad-que-nao-funciona-no-ubuntu-18-04-lts/
    On the acpi drivers in windows 10, I need the idhardware:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• C3lv1c3
    C3lv1c3 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Try to reinstall touchpad drivers from acer website
  • Griisu

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Sorry for the late reply. I just save all my data and did a clean Ubuntu installation. And it was worth the time since it solved 2 problems for me.

Clean Ubuntu installation solved the following problems:
    *external Screen not detected (solve)
    *much slower booting (solved)

Seems the bios update broke something in my operating system and forced me to make a clean installation. (In windows it forced me to reinstall most of the drivers ...)

Unfortunately it has not helped my touch pad issue. I tried quit a few things and it seems that for what reason ever Ubuntu doesn't detect my touch pad anymore.

C3lv1c3 I already reinstalled and update all my Drivers, thx for the help but that got it to "work" in windows but I'm stuck with the default behaviour.
    egydiocoelho thanks a lot for your help. I already tried the gnome tweaks but unfortunately they won't help if Ubuntu doesn't detect the hardware. Guess I have to wait till the software is again up to date.
  • I believe this will not solve. But what happens when you change the function key behavior option to special key? Is the touchpad recognized? Has version 1.13 only added function to keyboard light?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer