Acer Aspire ES1-572-31XL not booting w/ black screen after Windows update

NoahBradford
NoahBradford Member Posts: 7 New User

When I turn on my laptop (Acer Aspire ES1-572-31XL) I hear the fans running, hard drive starting, and I see the LED light come on to signify it's on, but I have a completely black screen and it stays blank. Whenever I press F2 or F8 it doesn't go into BIOS, it doesn't work and I don't see the Acer logo later in it's just always a blank screen.

I recently updated my BIOS to fix a Bluetooth problem and that caused my computer to keep resetting whenever it turned on, but with the Acer logo. To solve that I used F8 and there was 2 Windows Boot options and the 2nd one worked and took me to Windows. Later, I noticed that I heard a buzzing noise from my headphones and it was Windows and my WiFi was acting poorly, so I googled that problem and most resolution said to update windows drivers or windows so I went to the windows website and got the Windows October update.

It was taking awhile to update so I went to bed. When I woke up my computer was on but it had the blank screen. I thought it was just sleeping but when I tried to wake it up nothing happened so I turned it off and turned it back on and the screen was still black, no Acer logo, unable to use F2 or F8 to go into BIOS. 

I don't know what to do, please help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Turn the machine completely off. Remove the charger. Check the bottom case for a battery reset pinhole. If the pinhole exists, gently insert a paper clip for 10 seconds to disconnect the battery. Let the machine rest for about 15 mins. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to try to enter the BIOS menu again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NoahBradford
    Hi Jack. I followed the instructions, but it didn't solve my problem. Maybe I did something wrong?

I turned off my laptop and removed the charger, found the battery reset pinhole, put a paperclip point in and used it to push the button in there for 10 seconds using a timer. Then I waited for 15 minutes using a timer and turned it on and immediately began to repeatedly tap F2, but the screen stayed black.

Did I do something wrong? Is there anything else I could do to resolve my problem?
     Thanks.

• JackE
    edited February 2019
    OK. Have you ever experienced a temporarry black screen like this on startup before? But shut it down and it seemed to recover OK? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NoahBradford
    No I haven't experienced anything like it.

• JackE
    NoahBradford>>>When I turn on my laptop (Acer Aspire ES1-572-31XL) I hear the fans running, hard drive starting, and I see the LED light come on to signify it's on, but I have a completely black screen and it stays blank.>>>

Just want to make sure that 'blank' screen means the same as 'black' screen. Some people use the terms interchangeably, some don't. When you turn it on, and after hearing the fans running, HDD starting, and LEDs light up, can you hear any indications that Windows has actually booted (perhaps a welcoming melody or tone)? And using a flashlight, can you see any faint images reflected from the screen? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ENVER1
    ENVER1 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have similar problem. Sometimes it stays on a black screen without the logo on startup. Not exactly black, like twilight. It fixes itself when I turn it off by holding down the power button and then turning it back on. What could be the problem? Help please.
  • JackE

This thread is nearly 3 years old. For better attention please post your own new thread by clicking on the ask a question button.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    ENVER1,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• JackE

This thread is nearly 3 years old. For better attention please post your own new thread by clicking on the ask a question button.

Jack E/NJ