Acer B246HL locks up in energy save mode

Mike351
Mike351 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 22 in 2020 Archives

Hello,

We have a rather unusual problem in the organisation I work for,which I will detail below.

In our organisation we have a large number of Acer B246HL monitors, connected to HP Elitebook x360 G1030 G2 laptops via the HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 Dock (P/N 1DT93AA#ABG) using the DisplayPort connections on the dock and monitor. Randomly, when a monitor goes in to energy save mode (indicated by the power led changing from blue to orange), and the employee returns to their desk and presses CTRL + ALT + DEL (or whatever method they might use) to wake up their sleeping laptop, the monitor will not come out of energy save mode.

Pressing the front mounted 'soft' power button has no effect either, the monitor is steadfastly stuck in enegy saving mode, the status LED will remain orange no matter what. The only solution is to power cycle the monitor using the mains switch on the back, wait for the status led to fade out completely, and then restore power.

These are the scenario's it occurs in:

* Employee leaves laptop to go on break / lunch / meeting. After 20mins the laptop will go in to powersave mode which causes the monitors to go in to energy save mode. Employee comes back, wakes up laptop, Acer monitor will not come out of energy save mode. Front mounted 'soft' power button unresponsive, status led remains orange.

* Employee goes to meeting or home, takes laptop with them, monitor goes in to energy save mode. When they return, they cannot get monitor to come out of energy save mode, front mounted 'soft' power button unresponsive, status led remains orange.

* In some employee desk configurations we have an Acer BH246HL and a Dell 19". On the occasions when the issue occurs, it is always the Acer that becomes unresponsive.

* Today this happened to someone in the organisation who has a single monitor, the Acer.

* In the case where an employee has two Acer BH246HLs, usually only one monitor will lock up, although I have seen a situation where they were both stuck.

Has anyone come across this before? It is appears as though once the monitor goes in to energy save mode the firmware locks up.

Unfortunately it is quite random. I have tried leaving a monitor in power save mode for an extended period (ie over night or over a weekend) and sometimes the monitor will get stuck, other times it won't. I have tried locking the laptop and leaving it to go in to sleep mode and other times I have locked windows (Win key + L).

Oh, and we also use these same monitors on Dell Desktops, they never experience this issue.

Would love to discuss and perhaps find the answer.

Edited the content to hide personal information.

Acer-Samuel

Answers

• nigelmillarnz
    nigelmillarnz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem here - same monitor and same tablet - but directly connected monitors via USB-C DisplayPort adapter

Did you ever find the cause or an easy solution other than unplugging and pluggin back in again?

• Mike351
    Mike351 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2020
    Hi Nigel,
    Unfortunately no, we were never able to find the root cause and never will as the Acer monitors hit their end of life cycle and have now been replaced with Samsung wide screen monitors. We've only had the Samsung's about a month or so now, and the problem hasn't shown up with them.

Edited the content to hide personal information.
    Acer-Samuel