Switch FN Lock setting in BIOS/UEFI without access to BIOS/UEFI (Lost Supervisor Password)

Deniz
Deniz Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi @ all,
I spent 3 hours on yesterday to solve the following problem with a workaround but found no really good approach:
How can I switch the FN Lock setting in BIOS/UEFI without access to BIOS/UEFI? I have no access to BIOS/UEFI because somehow in the context of the last windows upgrade the BIOS/UEFI settings have changed (particulary the boot sequence, the FN Lock setting and the Secure Boot setting have changed) - even if I never set this password protection to BIOS/UEFI I have no access to BIOS/UEFI (I am convinced, that there is an additional charset problem or a bug in the password function or something).

The following I already tried:
=> Press "FN" in combination with STRG, ALT, F11, Escape, Num-Lock, Caps-Lock, Shift, the letter U
=> Swith FN Lock in the Linux Kernel (I found no way, for Apple Keyboard one might use the hid_apple "module", for various other products there are "modules" as well, e.g. Thinkpad, Logitech, etc.).
=> Try to find a way over EFI shell - I got a look over all the EFI-functions, but none of these functions seem to be in a relation to the FN Lock - in the context of the boot sequence, I could simply deactivate WIndows over efibootmgr (change of the order in the boot sequence seems not to work for ACER products)

Is there a known way how to solve that problem? I never use the FN keys FN1 - FN12 and all the other keyboards I use have the good old F1-F12-keys as standard - I would like to avoid to use the FN key(s).

Many thanks in advance for every further information in that context!

Kind regards,
Deniz

Answers

• Deniz
    Deniz Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Sorry - I fortgot to mention and I cannot edit:
    Spin 5 
    No dedicated FN Lock-Key
    Dedicated Num-Lock with dedicated Num-Keys (0 - 9, +, -, Enter) on the right side of the keyboard