Helios 300 PH315-51-7294. Screen randomly goes black with white lines

maksim
maksim Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with my 

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51-7294 (Core i7-8750H, Nvidia GTX 1060, 144 Hz screen).

Screen randomly goes black with white lines or if laptop plugged to external monitor it just freezes.

I tried this solutions:
- Updating my bios. Currently it's 1.22. Tried to downgrade to 1.15, but i can't do that. Followed this instructions:
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/544466/predator-helios-300-showing-black-screen-after-one-hour-of-web-surfing/p1
- Restarting battery and cleaning RAM pins. Like it was written here:
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/575377#Comment_575377
- Also reinstalling ACPI control method drivers.
(can't find forum instructions)

What should I do? Any suggestions? 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Except connecting to an external monitor, does the problem occur every time when you try to run a game for example?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• maksim
    ven98 said:
    Except connecting to an external monitor, does the problem occur every time when you try to run a game for example?
    No, it occurs randomly, doesn't depend from load. I can play GTA V and nothing will happen or i can just surf the net and it can happen two or three times in a row. When this all started, it appeared only when I was working on unplugged laptop, when it was plugged, it worked perfectly. After that, I tried to solve this problem (I listed what i tried to do) and now it can hang up while laptop is plugged too.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Did you try changing your GPU driver set to an older, more stable version?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • GeekGirl
    GeekGirl Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2019
    Hard to say exactly what it could be. Looks like that something is not right with nVidia GTX 1060 or with Intel Graphics.
    ---
    На случай, если автор русскоговорящий: вероятно, проблема связана с драйверами видеокарты. Попробуйте их откатить, если ставили свежие версии.
  • maksim
    sri369 said:
    Did you try changing your GPU driver set to an older, more stable version?
    I have this problem about 2-3 months and I had different driver versions, so I think it's not GPU fault.
    GeekGirl said:
    Hard to say exactly what it could be. Looks like that something is not right with nVidia GTX 1060 or with Intel Graphics.
    ---
    На случай, если автор русскоговорящий: вероятно, проблема связана с драйверами видеокарты. Попробуйте их откатить, если ставили свежие версии.
    Не думаю, что проблема в этом, т.к. проблема преследует меня 2-3 месяца и были разные версии драйверов. 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    With the troubleshooting you have already tried, it points to the GPU being faulty. I suggest you to contact Acer support and arrange a repair.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• OGMike
    OGMike Member Posts: 123 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    I don’t think this is a hardware issue, when you’re surfing the web, the 1060 isn’t even working, it’s just at idle and it’s all integrated graphics at that point, so I’m thinking it’s more of a software issue, I too am having this issue with the same model.