Acer S277HK flickering problem, help!

Kapalla
Kapalla Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 16 in 2019 Archives

Hello!

Recently my Acer monitor started flickering intensely. This happened out of nowhere, and now I'm sitting with a 600 US$ monitor that is basically unusable. I bought the monitor sometime in 2016 and the guarantee on Acer's website states that there only is a 2-year guarantee on Acer Monitors. If anyone knows how I can fix this please tell me how to do so, or if I need to send it in for repair. I have attached a video showing the problem. I am also wondering how much I actually would have to pay if I were to send it in for a repair, as it doesn't state any prices when you go through the repair feature on Acer's website.  

I have already tried changing the refresh rate, and I can confirm that it has nothing to do with my MacBook that it's connected to. 

The monitor is a: Acer S277HK 4k monitor. I bought it on Amazon. 

Video showing the problem: https://vimeo.com/317561285

Best Answer

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    @Kapalla
    Monitor have 3 years warranty. So call Acer support and check whether the unit is under warranty or not at the same time check out for the cost to be repaired. make sure you have the exact date of purchase for the monitor.
    Check the below link for your country and click and check out for the Acer support number.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Jack22
    @Kapalla
    Unplug all the wire that connects to the monitor (including the power cable from wall socket) and press and hold the power button on the monitor for 40 seconds than check. If still have problem than try to update the monitor drivers fro Acer website manually and check.
    To install driver from Acer website click the below link
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• Kapalla

Tinkerer

Jack22 said:
    @Kapalla
    Unplug all the wire that connects to the monitor (including the power cable from wall socket) and press and hold the power button on the monitor for 40 seconds than check. If still have problem than try to update the monitor drivers fro Acer website manually and check.

Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem, and as I am using the monitor on a MacBook I am not able to download any drivers. Thank you so much for your suggestion though! 
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Kapalla said:
    Jack22 said:
    @Kapalla

Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem, and as I am using the monitor on a MacBook I am not able to download any drivers. Thank you so much for your suggestion though! 

For confirmation, have you connected 2nd Generation of MAC computer to the monitor? If so, I have seen many users reporting the same display flickering issue and that is due to compatibility of MAC display signal frequency vs Monitor receptor signal frequency. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Kapalla

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    Balatekie said:
    Kapalla said:
    Jack22 said:
    @Kapalla

For confirmation, have you connected 2nd Generation of MAC computer to the monitor? If so, I have seen many users reporting the same display flickering issue and that is due to compatibility of MAC display signal frequency vs Monitor receptor signal frequency. 
    I am really not sure what you mean when you say "2nd generation of MAC". I have only used this monitor with my Macbook from 2015, and this problem started a week ago, after using it for over 2 years. There have never been any problems like this. I also believe that the problem is not with the computer, but with the monitor itself. The flickering showed in the video above, also occurs on the start-up screen, so I do not believe that the problem is with the computer, but with the monitor as mentioned above. 
  • Balatekie
    Kapalla said:
    Balatekie said:
    Kapalla said:
    Jack22 said:
    @Kapalla

I am really not sure what you mean when you say "2nd generation of MAC". I have only used this monitor with my Macbook from 2015, and this problem started a week ago, after using it for over 2 years. There have never been any problems like this. I also believe that the problem is not with the computer, but with the monitor itself. The flickering showed in the video above, also occurs on the start-up screen, so I do not believe that the problem is with the computer, but with the monitor as mentioned above. 
    Thank you for the brief description :) From the explanation, the flickering shows up on the startup screen. That confirms to be hardware issue. If your monitor is under warranty, I recommend you to please contact Acer Technical Support in your region and check for repair options. 

• Kapalla

Tinkerer

Balatekie said:
    Kapalla said:
    Balatekie said:
    Kapalla said:
    Jack22 said:
    @Kapalla

Thank you for the brief description :) From the explanation, the flickering shows up on the startup screen. That confirms to be hardware issue. If your monitor is under warranty, I recommend you to please contact Acer Technical Support in your region and check for repair options. 
    I purchased the monitor in 2016, so I believe that the warranty should've run out already, correct? Is there perhaps anything, at all, that I can do to fix this, as I don't know how expensive it will be to get the monitor repaired. (If anyone could give me a number on how much the repair would cost, that would also help a lot!)
  • Jack22
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    @Kapalla
    Monitor have 3 years warranty. So call Acer support and check whether the unit is under warranty or not at the same time check out for the cost to be repaired. make sure you have the exact date of purchase for the monitor.
    Check the below link for your country and click and check out for the Acer support number.

• Kapalla

Tinkerer

Jack22 said:
    @Kapalla

Thank you, I just rechecked and apparently, there are 3 years of warranty! I must've read it wrong when I checked the 1st time. Thank you so much, I will call in on Monday :)!
  • Balatekie
    Kapalla said:
    Jack22 said:
    @Kapalla

Thank you, I just rechecked and apparently, there are 3 years of warranty! I must've read it wrong when I checked the 1st time. Thank you so much, I will call in on Monday :)!
    Good to know that your monitor is under warranty. Please call Acer and book the unit for repair :)