Is there a interlock mechanism for the Acer SP714-51?

ikey20
ikey20 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
New to Acer.  Opened the bottom of the S7 to flatten out a minor dent and now battery will not charge.  Battery light blinks when plugged in.  Computer will not turn on at all probably due to no battery.  Saw online that there may be an interlock for cover but cannot see one.  Need help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    A small spring-loaded normally-off switch is probably located on the mainboard almost directly across from the dent you flattened. The case probably has a protrusion in the same area. It's supposed to push against this switch when properly assembled. Below is a pix of your mainboard. What area was the dent located in relation to this pix? Then we can try to  blow up the image to see if we can spot the switch. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    edited February 2019
    The minor dent was near the USB side hinge.  Left of 1 and top of 10.  See attached.  Doesn't look like there's anything at that location.  Thanks.
  • JackE
    Can't really tell? The only thing that looks like a safety switch might be on the right side near the top. Check on the inside of the case to see if you can find a protrusion that might push against it or against anything that might look like a switch. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    edited February 2019
    That is the battery reset switch.  Which I already tried.
  • JackE
    The re-set switch should be normally-on. Is anything inside the case pushing against it when you put the case back on? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    No there is nothing depressing it.  I've pressed it to reset with the cover on and off.

• JackE
    Check inside the case for any molded protrusions needed to depress a safety switch. I blew up the mainboard image and I really can't see anything else that resembles the reset switch. Nothing I can find in the specs relating to a safety interlock for this particular model. Have you tried it with the cover removed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    Yes I've tried the reset switch and charging the battery with the cover on and off.  Issue persist.  I couldn't find anything or feel anything else that can be depressed or mechanically be depressed.
  • JackE
    Remove the battery connector from the mainboard --- no battery. Leave the back off. Does it now start plugged in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    Just disconnected battery and computer started plugged in.  Does that mean battery needs to be replaced?
  • JackE
    Can you remove the other end of the battery ribbon cable from the battery? If yes, remove it from the battery. Then  plug the ribbon cable into the mainboard by itself without the battery to see if the cable itself might have a short. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    edited February 2019
    Seems to be directly wired into the battery component.
  • JackE
    Do you have a handheld multimeter? The highest voltage between any two battery contacts should be ~15 volts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    edited February 2019
    Battery is completely discharged so it's at 0.00 volts.  Can only measure charge.  Not battery capacity.
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    Battery seems to have somehow developed a short. Inspect the ribbon wires and connector carefully for any obvious cross connections or insulator damage. Remove any tie strap that may be pinching the wire bundle as shown in the earlier image posted. Is the laptop still under warranty because a replacement battery is price-y at about $75 USD? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    Wiring & connectors looks fine.  Laptop is out of warranty.  Found some batteries on Ebay for $75 but they are out of Hong Kong.  Never purchased from Hong Kong before on Ebay.  Is it advisable?  Or else, other batteries online are around $150 or more.  Thank you, by the way, for helping me with the troubleshooting!
  • JackE
    I've ordered many items from HongKong via decent-rated eBay sellers with no problems except delivery times. Usually 50-60 days. Hong Kong prices can't be beat if you can afford the wait. Before ordering, I'd probably 'massage' the battery pack around the ribbon entry points to see if you can get even only low voltage reading. Due to the charger and laptop immediately shutting down with battery connected strongly suggests a short, not an open circuit. Once a shorted battery is unshorted it should recover to at least a few hundred millivolts after an hour or two. Then maybe it'll start charging again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ikey20
    Will give it a try.  Thank you.