edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
First thank you for hear me out, God bless you
here's my laptop specs :

- i3-7020u @ 2.3 Ghz
- HD 620 + nvidia MX150
- Klevv SATA SSD 480GB
- 8 GB Ram
- Win 10 ver 1809

Sooo.... here's my problem, i randomly get BSOD on my laptop, it's occurs really random, mostly when im gonna use or using the dGPU of my laptop (except when i use it for games)
the BSOD at first it says "video dxgkrnl fatal error" and recently it says "driver power state failure", here's what i've tried :
1. Reinstall nvidia graphic driver (include updating to latest version)
2. do sfc scannow (no problem found)
3. lastly i reinstall windows (its been several times now)

the BSOD only occurs when i try use the nvidia graphics strangely it wont occurs when i use for games, when its inactive the BSOD wont happen at all.
i wonder if it's hardware failure or what, but when i check at device manager it shows no errors -__-.
does anyone have the same problem as me? thank you in advance

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Your Control Panel power plan must be set to performance, the battery near 100% charged, and laptop plugged in BEFORE starting any intensive Photoshop editing or power hungry gaming. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>>the BSOD only occurs when i try use the nvidia graphics strangely it wont occurs when i use for games>>>

Discrete adapter is supposed to be controlled by the software when called upon. Sounds like you're trying to use it when it's not needed. How are you manually trying to use it when the integrated adapter might be a better choice? Why are you doing this? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• netizen
    netizen Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    @JackE, sorry seems i word it wrongly...

i set the graphics preference to nvidia in global setting, so all my apps run with nvidia graphics including chrome browser etc, i set to nvidia to make sure my apps run with dGPU since i work with photoshop etc. the BSOD occur when i work with photoshop, illustrator, but not when i play little game like fifa19, then there's a time when i play youtube with chrome browser BSOD occured. at the moment i disable nvidia graphics in device manager, i wonder what's wrong, i plan to bring my pc to acer center. thank you for your answer.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Your Control Panel power plan must be set to performance, the battery near 100% charged, and laptop plugged in BEFORE starting any intensive Photoshop editing or power hungry gaming. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• LucaM
    LucaM Member Posts: 28

Tinkerer

Maybe Your laptop or computer's BIOS is ding, vises, key command or... cursing the BIOS the crash
  • netizen
    JackE said:
    @JackE , i always set to balanced, ok, ill try to set it to best performance, as for ac adapter, it's always connected when i work with both apps
  • netizen
    LucaM said:
    Maybe Your laptop or computer's BIOS is ding, vises, key command or... cursing the BIOS the crash
    Hmmm... I wonder bout that, just recently i updated my bios to ver 1.11, but if its the case, maybe i need to bring my pc to acer center asap
  • JackE
    Due to the increased risk of bricking and unintended side effects, BIOS updates should only be tried as a last resort to fix a serious issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• netizen
    JackE said:
    Due to the increased risk of bricking and unintended side effects, BIOS updates should only be tried as a last resort to fix a serious issue. Jack E/NJ
    I'll keep it mind, i was desperate, so i did
  • netizen
    JackE said:
    @JackE  it's been a day and no BSOD, hope it wont occur anymore, thanks you
  • netizen
    its been a week and @JackE answered my question and his solution works, i dont know if i should create a new thread or not for this

My pc works fine for about a week or so, thanks to @JackE solution, just today i downloaded intel DSA and updated my graphics driver to latest, after a restart not long BSOD occurs, this time it's really frequent and still randomly, because the only driver change i made was graphics, i uninstalled it and put the older one, but BSOD still occurs. this stress me.

if someone have same experience and solved it, please let me know how to solve it.
    thank you.
  • lreddy
    lreddy Member Posts: 2 New User
    @JackE. Answered well.

• JackE
    netizen

Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Click 'next'. Use 'restore point' with a datestamp that coincides with the day you installed the Intel driver. Driver updates should NOT be used unless you have a problem. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• netizen
    JackE said:
    netizen

Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Click 'next'. Use 'restore point' with a datestamp that coincides with the day you installed the Intel driver. Driver updates should NOT be used unless you have a problem. Jack E/NJ
    sorry late reply, restored to last worked state but still the same, yesterday i do everything nothing change, and i roll back to win 10 april update (1803), now my laptop run smoothly, no BSOD even with latest driver by intel and nvidia, seems the windows october (1809) indeed not compatible with latest graphics driver,, at least for me, because my other laptop with hd520 run great with windows 10 (1809) and latest graphic driver.

thanks for your reply @JackE, i appreciate it.
  • JackE
    Congrats you found the solution. Major Win10updates are causing many annoying issues. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• netizen
    yah thank you, and indeed this update annoy me and yup now i disable the windows update service since my windows home not able to stop update from setting
  • troyt422
    troyt422 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2019
    Best solution i have tried so far is : 
    Go into Nividia Control Panel
    3D settings
    Set PhysX configuration
    Select a PhysX processor:
    Select Gtx 1050 ti or 1060 , whatever your Card is instead of the Intel one.

Had 3 blue screens yesterday and a couple every other day before. None so Far in the Last 24 hours. Makes me wonder why they bothered with the intel 630 ha ha . Anyway has worked for me so far . Hope it works for You 

• netizen
    troyt422 said:
    Best solution i have tried so far is : 
    Go into Nividia Control Panel
    3D settings
    Set PhysX configuration
    Select a PhysX processor:
    Select Gtx 1050 ti or 1060 , whatever your Card is instead of the Intel one.

Had 3 blue screens yesterday and a couple every other day before. None so Far in the Last 24 hours. Makes me wonder why they bothered with the intel 630 ha ha . Anyway has worked for me so far . Hope it works for You 

Gonna try yours when BSOD occur again, thank you!
  • JackE
    netizen>>>windows home not able to stop update from setting >>>

You have two choices. You can hide the troublesome update with Microsoft show-hide tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

Or you can use "Windows Update Blocker" freeware.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gladw2
    gladw2 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited March 2019
    Hey everyone, I have the same laptop listed above which I purchased in August 2018. When I am running 1809 I have the same BSOD problem that is plaguing this laptop that has the intel and nvidia combination. I have tried all acer drivers, drivers from the manufactures e.g nvidia/intel. The same BSOD message is shown " video dxgkrnl fatal error ". When running a game or application that uses the nvidia gpu there are no problems, however when the application is closed and 30 or so seconds has passed the system will BSOD. Sometimes a BSOD will happen randomly, such as posting on this thread. For now I have rolled back to 1803 and the issue is no more. When using the Linux OS the system is 100% stable.

I have tried posting on the Microsoft support forum and I am awaiting a response. I wonder if Microsoft is fully aware that this laptop or laptops with this configuration are experiencing this problem. If anyone wishes to use 1809 the only option is by disabling the nvidia gpu in device manager, the system will no longer BSOD. I really do not wish to RMA this laptop as I like the system and I doubt that this is a hardware problem. A new windows 10 April update will soon be available, and it is possible that this new version will not suffer from this bug.  

Thanking everyone.
  • Embenz
    Embenz Member Posts: 1 New User
    woooh, I have the same problem here, have try to instal windows 1803...
    and FYI, dont update to 1903, it still frequently show BSOD like my laptop...