BIOS secure boot problem(acer Aspire E1-421)

shuvo84
shuvo84 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a laptop model: acer Aspire E1-421. Recently i needed to setup a new windows on my laptop so i made a usb bootable pendrive to install new windows. after restart my laptop i press the F12 button and select the usb pendrive to boot from boot manager but after a second it start boot my old installed operating system (Windows 7). then i go to BIOS and set boot priority to usb but still not useful. then after search problem in acer community i found i have to set supervisor password and then from boot option i have to disable secure boot option but after i  set the supervisor password and got to the boot option there is no secure boot option and also in my BIOS there is no UEFI or Legacy change option. i also update my BIOS but nothing changes. Is there any way other way to disable or change any setting to install the new operating system, Please help me. i seriously need to install the operating system. Thank you

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    shuvo84>>>Recently i needed to setup a new windows on my laptop >>>

If you're trying to install Windows 10 or Windows 8.x, the boot installation iso stick must be an MBR-partition FAT32 stick, NOT GPT-partition FAT32. Your e1-421 is BIOS mode only, UEFI mode is not available. Use Rufus to make MBR FAT32 stick with Window installation iso. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    You don't mention what windows you are trying to install.
    If your BIOS doesn't have an option to change between UEFI and Legacy, and running windows 7, then most likely the BIOS is legacy only. When you boot in windows 7 open RUN and type msinfo32. In system summary on the right side you will find whether the BIOS mode is legacy or UEFI.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• shuvo84
    ven98 said:
    You don't mention what windows you are trying to install.
    If your BIOS doesn't have an option to change between UEFI and Legacy, and running windows 7, then most likely the BIOS is legacy only. When you boot in windows 7 open RUN and type msinfo32. In system summary on the right side you will find whether the BIOS mode is legacy or UEFI.
    i am trying to install windows 10 and my previous os is WIndows 7
  • shuvo84
    JackE said:
    shuvo84>>>Recently i needed to setup a new windows on my laptop >>>

If you're trying to install Windows 10 or Windows 8.x, the boot installation iso stick must be an MBR-partition FAT32 stick, NOT GPT-partition FAT32. Your e1-421 is BIOS mode only, UEFI mode is not available. Use Rufus to make MBR FAT32 stick with Window installation iso. Jack E/NJ

I bootable my usb pendrive using rufus
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    Did you tell Rufus to make drive MBR partition? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• shuvo84
    JackE said:
    Did you tell Rufus to make drive MBR partition? Jack E/NJ
    by pressing ALT+E i made rufus for both BIOS and UEFI enable and select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and FAT32
  • ven98
    When creating the USB drive from rufus you should select MBR as partition scheme. What other options are available beside BIOS or UEFI?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• JackE
    edited February 2019
    Re-do pendrive without Quick Format and bootable by Win10 iso only. Make sure it FAT32. Also try different USB port if available. If it still fails to boot, try NTFS or UDF. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ven98
    I had to download windows.iso, so I could see what the options of rufus are(haven't used in a while). It seems that creating a simple iso file didn't make the options available, so annoying :p

Boot selection: Windows.iso (as mentioned by my colleague @JackE
    Partition scheme: MBR
    Target system: BIOS (or UEFI-CSM) there is no other option anyway

Show advanced drive properties
    Mark add fixes for old bioses 

File system: NTFS the only option when MBR partition scheme is selected

Advanced format options
    unmark quick format, as mentioned by @JackE

If it doesn't work download windows.iso again, as again mentioned by @JackE

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JackE
    >>>Recently i needed to setup a new windows on my laptop >>>

Then of course you also have the option of re-assessing your need for Win10. I mention this because of the new & unimproved Windows10 lifecycle policy with rapid-fire heavy-handed major updates that are almost like entirely new versions of Windows under the old Microsoft naming conventions. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet 

Even if you can get the latest version Win10 version 1809 working properly on your older Win 7 machine (doubtful), you have no guarantees that the next major release in a few months will work properly. This new policy is creating driver & firmware havoc in relatively new machines that shipped even with earlier major Win10 releases, let alone Win7. Under the old Winver naming system, we're probably up to Win16 by now with 1809 with mainstream support for 1809 ending May 2020, only 5 months after Win7 maintenance support is scheduled to end.

Machine's that came with Win8.x factory-installed and downgraded to Win10 are probably better off upgrading back ASAP to assure Win8.x maintenance support till 2023. Win10 has no such assurances much beyond the next major update which typically have maintenance support ending in only 12-18mos.

This new Microsoft lifecycle policy might be the open window of opportunity for an alternative GUI to finally break the PC status quo. Accordingly, I've already dual-booted both my relatively new HP and ACER laptops to LinuxMint GUIs that can be setup to have essentially the same look, feel & operation of arguably the last decent Windows version, Win7, only faster. And  productivity suites like LibreOffice can be installed that can handle and are compatible with just about all file types and operations of the latest Microsoft Office subscriptions. I really have no need for booting into Win10 on those machines anymore. 

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• shuvo84
    JackE said:
    Re-do pendrive without Quick Format and bootable by Win10 iso only. Make sure it FAT32. Also try different USB port if available. If it still fails to boot, try NTFS or UDF. Jack E/NJ
    sorry Sir, its still fails
  • JackE
    (1) Did you try all 3 USB ports?
    (2) Is the F12 boot option still enabled in the Main tab?
    (3) Is the USB HDD boot at the top of the boot priority order? Put the HDD at the bottom?
    (4) Was the BIOS settings F10 to save and exit?
    (5) Is the F12 key tapped immediately after turning on the machine. Don't wait for the ACER splash screen to appear?
    (6) Did you try another USB pendrive?
    (7) Do you see any red or yellow warnings in Device Manager? If not, is the USB controller folder visible?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• shuvo84
    Thank You very much everyone Sir.. i have done the new Windows 10 installation.
  • JackE
    Congratulations on your success!  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ