Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G Shuts Down When Unplugged

Options
sloonzz
sloonzz Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

My laptop that is 1.5 years old instantly shuts down the moment it is unplugged.
I've tried using the reset battery button at the back as well as other variations of that fix to no avail.
My battery also says "98% available, (plugged in, charging)" but it doesn't decrease or increase from that 98%.

I don't think that my battery has failed already, my battery has been working in tiptop condition before this occurred.

Is it really possible for the battery to fail at 1.5 years? Any other fixes I don't know about? My warranty has already been voided because I installed a new RAM unit.
Thanks.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019
    Options
    if you enter BIOS/UEFI pressing F2 key at boot and once in the bios screen you unplug the charger, does it shutdown?
    you can also try with a live Linux distro and check if it shutdown as on windows.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    IronFly said:
    if you enter BIOS/UEFI pressing F2 key at boot and once in the bios screen you unplug the charger, does it shutdown?
    you can also try with a live Linux distro and check if it shutdown as on windows.
    Yes, it does shutdown. Even just plugging it on AC, turning it on, pulling the plug shuts it down.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Hello! Make sure this button is pressed correctly:

If you still get the notebook shutting down, try putting some layers of electrical tape over that button to put pressure on it better!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello! Make sure this button is pressed correctly:

If you still get the notebook shutting down, try putting some layers of electrical tape over that button to put pressure on it better!
    I've seen that solution somewhere but I haven't tried it yet.
    What I have tried however is pressing that button while trying to turn on the laptop without the AC charger. Still doesn't work. Will there be any difference if I try out that solution? Might try it out tomorrow. Thanks.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    There are two possibilities:
    a) The battery may be misfed here:

b) or this button is not being pressed correctly:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    There are two possibilities:
    a) The battery may be misfed here:

b) or this button is not being pressed correctly:

Never heard of the first one. Could you elaborate on that?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    There are several possibilities for the notebook is turning off the battery. Try these tips:
    a) uninstall the power adapter and battery driver in the power manager:

b) then disable power-on initialization and then turn off the notebook and unplug it from the electrical outlet:

c) and then press this button for five seconds and leave the notebook off for five minutes and test:

If the above procedure does not work, you should check that the battery is misfed here:

And also check if this button is pressed properly:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho
    I've tried the reset pin button as well as uninstalling the drivers to no avail.
    Could you elaborate on the possibility that the battery is misfed?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Over time, the battery will lose its ability to retain the charge. Usually the battery lasts about three years. However, it is possible that it is only mismatched on the motherboard. But I would first check the button that I showed you and put some layers of electrical tape, because when this button is not pressed correctly, it can switch off when you use the battery!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho
    Okay, thank you for that. I'll update the thread tomorrow when I'm done trying out the button solution. Thanks, again.
  • sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay, update on the situation.
    I haven't got the time to try out the electrical tape method yet but my battery has gone from 98% to 5% after I shut down my laptop. It still isn't moving though. Is it a big possibility that my battery is dead?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    A year and a half old, it's very unlikely! Are you sure you really turned off the notebook? Have you checked the interrupt button?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho
    Yes. The lights below are off when I shut it down.

Is the battery going from 98% to 5% a common occurrence with the issue of the button not being pressed?

I'll be sure to try out the electrical tape method tomorrow since it's night here but in the meantime I've tried pressing the button while trying to turn on the laptop and it still doesn't turn on.

Could it still be related to this, then?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes, the button may be causing the notebook to not turn on properly! However, a bad battery can also cause this problem! Try the button question first! 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes, the button may be causing the notebook to not turn on properly! However, a bad battery can also cause this problem! Try the button question first! 
    After I shutdown and turned it on back this morning, now my battery says: "No battery is detected."
    I've also finally tried the electrical tape button method as well as the reset pin method, still no result.
    What other options do I have? I find it really unbelievable that my battery is failing at this rate.
  • IronFly
    Options
    you can try to plug and unplug the battery from the mainboard but i doubt this will fix it.

at the end, can be a bad motherboard battery sensor or a battery cell going bad; you can check the real battery charge with a voltage meter if you or a friend have one.
  • sloonzz

Tinkerer

Options
    IronFly said:
    you can try to plug and unplug the battery from the mainboard but i doubt this will fix it.

at the end, can be a bad motherboard battery sensor or a battery cell going bad; you can check the real battery charge with a voltage meter if you or a friend have one.
    Yep. I've already tried the plugging and unplugging of the battery too, same result.
    Can you explain more on how I can measure the battery's charge using a voltmeter?
  • IronFly
    Options
    Nothing special, just measure the voltage and check if it's low as reported by your laptop.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    As Mr Ironfly said, check the battery voltage. The service guide shows this information:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lpradobr
    lpradobr Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi, good morning. My notebook (Aspire 5733 6432) shuts down after less than 10 minutes. No matter if power cord is plugged or not. I`ve already replaced thermal paste, unmounted and re mounted it again, but this issue is still happening. Thanks for any help and comment on this.