microSDXC issue in Acer Aspire Switch 10

Badwine
Badwine Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi to all community members.  This is my first post and I hope someone can help with my issue.

I have been using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC card in my Switch 10 (running Windows 10 Home) successfully for several years.  I recently bought a SanDisk Extreme 400GB microSDXC card with a gift certificate and my hope was to use it in the Switch 10 in place of the 128GB card. 

Unfortunately, the system doesn't even see the 400GB card.  It doesn't show up in Windows Explorer or in Disk Manager.  What I do see is in Device Manager, where everything is fine with the 128GB card but with the 400GB card one of the two SD controllers has an issue.  I have tried to update the driver but the system comes back with the message that the best driver is already installed.  As an aside, the 400GB card works fine in another computer which is also running Windows 10 Home.

So, they are both cards from SanDisk and they are both microSDXC.  They should both work, right?  Any ideas, pointers, links to a better driver, etc. will be much appreciated because I'm stumped.

Thanks all.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It's possible that with the latest cards they no longer fully support the slow speeds used by SDHC controllers. That 400GB card is designed to be pretty fast... The controller on your Switch is SDHC and is not guarantied to work with SDXC cards, though up til now they've been just fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,006 Pathfinder
    @Badwine
    MAy i have the model number of your Laptop

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Badwine
    Hello Jack.  The model is SW5-012-13TT.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It's possible that with the latest cards they no longer fully support the slow speeds used by SDHC controllers. That 400GB card is designed to be pretty fast... The controller on your Switch is SDHC and is not guarantied to work with SDXC cards, though up til now they've been just fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Badwine
    Billsey, I think that you are absolutely right (unfortunately).  Now I need to find another use for the card.