My screen keeps locking, mouse pointer stops moving have to keep forcing shut down help

Hickory
Hickory Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Aspire ES 15 lap top. All of a sudden the screen will randomly lock and I can't do anything, the mouse pointer just stops. I cannot shut down with ctrl alt del so end up turning the laptop off. I am using Windows 10... Can anyone help me sort this out please?

Best Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @Hickory
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Hickory said:
    I have an Aspire ES 15 lap top. All of a sudden the screen will randomly lock and I can't do anything, the mouse pointer just stops. I cannot shut down with ctrl alt del so end up turning the laptop off. I am using Windows 10... Can anyone help me sort this out please?
    Check the sleep timings in the power options.

Press and hold Windows + X to launch quick settings > select power options and change the screen out timings and sleep timings then save the changes and check if this does any better..
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @Hickory
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart

• Hickory
    Thank you, I guess it doesnt matter if I power back up on either battery or mains?
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Hickory said:
    Check the sleep timings in the power options.

Press and hold Windows + X to launch quick settings > select power options and change the screen out timings and sleep timings then save the changes and check if this does any better..
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Hickory
    Still locks out after trying both the above . Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated or its off to the local friendly computer guy for repair