Old aspire 3680 laptop

Jthomas74
Jthomas74 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My aunt gave my grandmother a old laptop the 3680 the hard drive died I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 10 for her. I had to replace the hard drive I bought a 250gig  960 evo. I am not able to get Windows 10 to boot with a USB drive to firmat and install win10. I have gone into the BIOS and changed boot priorities with no success what am I doing wrong. First time working on a laptop but I have built several computers and I'm fairly confident and comfortable doing so.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    A 960 EVO? What is its form factor? An m.2 SSD card or a 2.5" SSD disk? How did you make the USB installation drive? It must be MBR partitioned, not GPT or the 3680 won't recognize it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jthomas74
    It is a solid state drive and I used windows creation tool to make the Windows 10 USB. 
  • JackE
    But is it an m.2 solid state drive CARD like the one on the left below or an 2.5" solid state drive DISK similar in size to the old HDD? Your older machine does NOT have an  m.2 card slot that can accept an m.2 solid state drive card.

The media creation tool likely created a USB installation stick for UEFI mode computers. Your older machine can't read this type of stick. It needs am installation stick for BIOS or Legacy mode computers.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Jthomas74
    Bro this laptop brand Vista I know the difference between an m. 2 and a SATA drive. The computer has a 250 gig 960 Evo SSD not a m. 2. my problem is with the new hard drive in there all I get is a black screen with a cursor after changing boot priority to USB to use my Windows 10 USB to do a fresh format and install. It does not recognize the USB as a boot device so I can start the process I'm trying to figure out if I have to hold shift f10 or corresponding button to get it to recognize it.  My aunt did not have any of her old disc to go with the laptop because it's very old and the old hard drive was shot and was not working so I can't even do a recovery off of it. 
  • JackE
    Jthomas74>>>It does not recognize the USB as a boot device so I can start the process>>>

The media creation tool likely created a GPT partitioned USB installation stick for UEFI mode computers. Your older machine can't read this type of stick. It needs an MBR installation stick for BIOS or Legacy mode computers. If you can't get the media creation tool to work, sse Rufus freeware to create an MBR FAT32 bootstick with the Win10 installation iso.

As for the SSD, I was unaware that the 960 EVO m.2 nvme also came in 2.5" SATA flavor. The 860 EVO was usually the 2.5" SATA flavor.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ