G9-793 SSD cooling?

rcr61
rcr61 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a G9-793-79D9 that came with a 512 Gb Samsung SM951 SSD, which of course occupies the "M key" slot. I bought a Samsung 500 Gb EVO 860 to put in the upper "B+M Key" slot (anyone know why they put a B+M key on top of a M key M.2 slot?) which unfortunately has to be a SATA vice NVMe/AHCI because of the B+M key slot. Anyway, it occurs to me that two M.2 drives stacked on top of each other are potentially going to generate a significant amount of heat. I bought two aluminum heat sinks that are 3mm thick from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Heatsinks-Laptop-Memory-Cooling-Fin-Red/dp/B078PBK76J), thinking they might fit between and on top of the two SSDs. They don't - at least they don't with the thermal pads under them. They do fit if I put the thermal pad under the bottom SSD, then the aluminum heat sink on top it it, then the 2nd SSD, then the 2nd aluminum heatsink (without thermal pad on top of it). Anything more and the cover bulges. Is this worth pursuing or is this laptop truly meant to have two SSDs operate without thermal cycling in such close proximity to each other AND without any kind of cooling solution?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers