Predator Helios 500 expandable storage

dpoly27
dpoly27 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have the Predator Helios 500 coming in a few day's and I want to find answers on storage expansion. I already own the Acer Aspire 3 A315 R9J1 and am familiar with BIOS, settings up admin password and enabling and disabling secure boot. On a side note I was really disappointed the Acer Aspire 3 had a 2.5 bay, but had no sata connection on the motherboard, that doesn't make sense. Why have the 2.5 inch bay if it's not usable?
I've heard people have had issues with M.2 drives not being detected on Predator Helios 500 motherboard.
According to the specs the Predator Helios 500 has two M.2 Drive slots and one 2.5 Drive slot so my expectation is I can open it up and drop two M.2 Drives of my liking and a 2.5 inch drive of my liking. On that note on the Predator Helios 500 website claims the 2.5 inch bay supports only up to 2 TB which doesn't make any sense to me. I would like to know if that is the case and why? because I'm considering putting a 4-5TB 2.5 drive into that bay.
I would also like to know if any issues arise from changing operating systems. I'll likely be doing either a fresh install of Windows 10 or installing Fedora 29. I'll likely be installing Fedora 29 since all the workstation applications I need run just fine on Fedora and Steamplay, wine and emulators work well enough and will only get better.
I know I may seem a bit negative, but the reality is that Acer is a middle-man and often times bloatware/nonsense get added on computer hardware in those situations as a purchaser I just want to be aware of what abnormal computer hardware issue's I can expect with the Predator Helios 500.
All and All I still think Acer is above and beyond the competition.

Thanks, P

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    1. I can't answer this, because you haven't given the full model number

2. The reason why m.2 aren't detected in some cases could be because the storage mode is set to RAID and in some cases setting it to AHCI works, but then windows has to be re-installed on the main drive.
    I don't see a reason why more than 2TB wouldn't work. Maybe that is probably the highest storage drive they have tested on this device, so they can't recommend something that hasn't been tested. 

3. I am unable to answer this, as I don't own helios 500, whether a clean version of windows or another OS will cause problems or not. The issue you might encounter with clean windows is that Predator Sense might not recognise your device, but there is a fix for that as far as I know.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• dpoly27
    dpoly27 Member Posts: 3 New User
    PH517-61-R0GX
    vega 56
    windows 10
    fedora 29

Ya settings it to AHCI sounds like a good idea, I'll want to remove any raid Acer put on the system.

• bobzdar
    bobzdar Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I think the 2nd slot only supports SATA m.2, not nvme.  Double check before buying. I installed a 2.5" 1TB drive in mone without issue, hardware/ cable was included in the box. 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    @bobzdar thats correct the ryzen version only has one nvme slot the second its m.2 sata @dpoly27 if you still want to upgrade i recommend maybe the same as mine wd blue 3d nand 2tb (not cheap though but cheaper than 1tb nvme that's why i didn't got nvme instead) but its a great upgrade u have the exact model in my signature

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/