What should I do?(Acer Aspire m5-581)

Splifmeister801
Splifmeister801 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
It is an Acer Aspire m5-581t I hard reset it and it cut off and now it’s turning on and off only getting to the acer screen then turning off again I tried to use alt-10 but it does not do anything (yes I’m doing it right) but alt-f2 and f-12 works. I recently fixed a broken charger wire did I possibly do something form the inside and not realize it? 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    There are workarounds  but need to know the history of this machine better.  If you don't know the history, you can enter the machine's serial no. id (SNID) here https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/ and order the ACER recovery stick or DVD if you prefer. About $46. If there hasn't been a hardware failure, the recovery stick should bring the machine back to a factory fresh state. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    What do you mean by 'hard reset'? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Splifmeister801
    The erecovery management option hard reset. 
  • JackE
    >>> it cut off>>>
    OK. Is this the reason you tried to re-set it? If yes, then explain exactly how did it cut off before you reset it?

>>>and now it’s turning on and off only getting to the acer screen then turning off again>>>
    And is this the result after the reset?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Splifmeister801
    Sorry what I mean by it cut off as it was doing the restart and deleting and it was at 2% and it just turned the screen off and started to do this on and off procedure and I was resetting it because I Wanted to clear everything off of it 
  • JackE
    What was the original factory-installed Windows version? What was the Windows version on it when you tried the ALT+F10 cold boot reset? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Splifmeister801
    I believe it was on windows 8 
  • JackE
    Yes, but what Windows version was on it when you tried the ALT+F10 recovery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Splifmeister801
    I didn’t do the alt f10 to do the recovery I went on the program first and I’m trying to use the alt f10 to fix this situation because everyone is saying to use alt f10 but it won’t work and I’m not sure what version it was on because It was my sisters and she just gave it to me if I fixed it. 
  • Splifmeister801
    Might throw this thing in the trash 
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    The problem is if your sister got this machine in ~2011, it would've had Win7 in which the ALT+F10 would've worked.
    If she got it in ~2013 it would've had Win8 in which ALT+F10 wouldn't have worked.
    If she got it ~2014, it would've had Win8.1 in which ALT+F10 would've worked again.
    If she loaded Win10, Alt+F10 wouldn't have worked again.

There are workarounds  but need to know the history of this machine better. Cuz otherwise it's probably gonna cost you $46 for the original factory installed recovery media to get it back to running condition again if there wasn't an underlying hardware failure.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Splifmeister801
    So are you trying to say I can’t fix this problem 
  • JackE
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    There are workarounds  but need to know the history of this machine better.  If you don't know the history, you can enter the machine's serial no. id (SNID) here https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/ and order the ACER recovery stick or DVD if you prefer. About $46. If there hasn't been a hardware failure, the recovery stick should bring the machine back to a factory fresh state. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ