Aspire R 15 BIOS Recovery

Options
naji
naji Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello People! So I have a friend who has an Aspire R 15 laptop that had a Windows problem, he tried removing the CMOS battery for an hour, however it screwed up the BIOS. I'm finding all of these posts saying there is a way to fix it (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533702/does-anyone-know-how-to-perform-a-bios-recover-for-acer-aspire-r5-471t) and I tried 1.12V and 1.10V and no luck. I think there is a 1.09 however I only found the application that updates it while the PC was on. Is there a way I could recovery flash version 1.09 on it? Thanks in advance for responses.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,577 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>> he tried removing the CMOS battery for an hour, however it screwed up the BIOS.>>>

How was it screwed up? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• naji
    Options
    I think, for this specific model, you can remove the battery because it delete important information from the BIOS. I'm not entirely sure though so don't trust me on that :). But I need to find how to get the correct version BIOS to flash.
  • naji
    Options
    I appreciate your help. However, this is a BIOS updater as an application. (I can't flash this on the laptop). But, thanks for trying.  
  • naji
    Options
    I am also always finding these installers that download while your PC is on. However, I can’t use those, I need a version to flash. How can I find this?
  • JackE
    Options
    naji>>>However, this is a BIOS updater as an application.>>>

Yes, the flash file (skiluffy.fd) must be extracted from the updater. You run the executable on another machine to extract it into temporary folder in the user \appdata\local\temp\ directory   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• naji
    Options
    I apologize for still having trouble, but I do appreciate your responses. I am getting a error message when I launch the executable. I know I am suppose to get an error message, but this one is different from the one I'm suppose to get. "IHISI: Get platform ROM map error in SMI! SMI Return Code: 0xEF". I still tried accessing %temp% and I found the executable's file, but the "skiluffy.fd" was missing. I have done the procedure on multiple different machines and still get different, but similar results. Is there any other way to do this? And again I want to say thank you for your responses and assistance.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    removing a cmos battery won't screw up the bios,but what it will do is effectively make it lose its settings such as .efi secure boot file references and that sort of thing.   What exactly is the message on the screen when you boot (without any usb sticks plugged in etc)?
  • naji
    Options
    I have tried both of these files and am still getting the same results, but thank you. Just to clarify, there is no hardware problem with this laptop. When I turn it on, I see the keyboard lighting and the LED indicator for power is on. After 10-15 seconds it turns back off. The screen does not even turn on during this. 
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    can you actually get into the bios? (and is there anything on the screen before it turns off?)
  • JackE
    Options
    The screen isn't supposed to turn on at first. How did you try to flash the BIOS with Ski2luffy.fd? It should be the only file on a FAT32 formatted USB stick. You insert the stick. You then press and hold the FN+ESC. Then you insert the charger. Then you press the power button. Keep holding FN+ESC till you see stick LED activity. Then let go. When the flashing process is finished the machine will shut off automatically if successful. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• naji
    Options
    I am unable to get to the bios. I flashed using the same procedure you stated. I didn’t know that it was supposed to be blinking, it was solid the whole time so that might be a problem. I will check again when I get home. Thanks!
  • naji
    Options
    Okay, so I just double checked that laptops screen is okay, because it was a black screen when I turn it on, and it was okay. I did the whole flashing procedure again to make sure and still, no flashing power light, just solid. It turns on for 5 seconds, then turns off, then turns back on for 20 seconds, then turns off.
  • JackE
    Options
    No. Not the power LED light. I mean the USB stick's LED activity light should be blinking if it's being read the the BIOS chip's boot block. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ