Nitro XV273K randomly blacks out every now and then

Rennex
Rennex Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
My Acer Nitro XV273K sometimes goes blank (displaying only blackness and turning off the backlight) for about 5 seconds and then the picture is restored. This must have happened 10 times this evening in the span of 3-4 hours. Does anyone else suffer from this problem? Is it a known problem that a firmware update might be able to fix? It's a pretty bad thing to happen during intense gaming, to go blind for 5 seconds.

I haven't been doing anything special when the blackout occurs; it has also happened when I've just been reading a web page and haven't touched anything for a minute. I'm using the native 4k resolution at 120Hz non-HDR. I just tried a custom 4k resolution at 100Hz, and it blacked out too. The blanking seems like the signal is lost and the display has to "re-connect". I've got the monitor connected to an Nvidia 1080Ti using the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor. It's firmly connected, and wiggling the DP cable or the power cable doesn't cause a blackout.

Of course it could be a problem with the GPU too, but I've never seen any blackouts on a 60Hz 4k screen that I've used for over 12 months with this GPU. I don't think the display driver is crashing and causing blackouts, because I haven't gotten any notifications about driver crashes.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @Rennex
    1.Try unplug all the wires that connects to the monitor including the power cable from the wall socket and press and hold the power button on the monitor for 40 seconds than connect and check.

2.Try updating the monitor drivers and check.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Rennex

Tinkerer

This issue seems to have gone away now, I haven't seen any blackouts any more. But I sometimes see a little glitch, like a bar of corrupted pixels, blink once and then disappear for a long time. It's probably the same random glitch that previously resulted in the blackout, but now it's become almost too small to notice.

I'm about 99% sure that the root cause of the blackouts was Nvidia's Freesync support that had just landed in the drivers, and it must've had some bugs. After another driver update arrived, the monitor has been working great. <3
  • Rennex

Tinkerer

Well, I take that back, I've seen some blackouts again. Maybe I was just lucky for a longer while? Let's see. I'm still hoping to hear from other owners of this monitor: do you get blackouts or does it work perfectly? Do you have Freesync enabled or not, and do you use Nvidia or AMD graphics cards?
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @Rennex
    The issue got resolved after updating the drivers?

• Rennex

Tinkerer

Jack22 said:
    @Rennex
    The issue got resolved after updating the drivers?
    No, I thought it helped (Nvidia drivers specifically) but the problem isn't gone. Do you have the same monitor and is it working fine?
  • welp01
    welp01 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Black artifacts/boxes are common problem with new nitro models, it happens on VG270UP, VG271U and XV272UP. I returned vg270up because of that. They happen rarely and lasts only for a fraction of a second. As for your problem with screen turning off randomly try disabling gsync in nvidia panel and restart pc, I also had it happen few times, could be drivers i think.
  • MechDragon
    MechDragon Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Rennex said:
    This issue seems to have gone away now, I haven't seen any blackouts any more. But I sometimes see a little glitch, like a bar of corrupted pixels, blink once and then disappear for a long time. It's probably the same random glitch that previously resulted in the blackout, but now it's become almost too small to notice.

I'm about 99% sure that the root cause of the blackouts was Nvidia's Freesync support that had just landed in the drivers, and it must've had some bugs. After another driver update arrived, the monitor has been working great. <3

So you didn't have these problems before the new (freesync) driver update? 
    When did you buy your monitor?
  • Rennex

Tinkerer

So you didn't have these problems before the new (freesync) driver update? 
    When did you buy your monitor?
    I only bought the monitor just as they arrived in stores, and Nvidia's freesync support had just landed. I'm gonna need the freesync to work though, otherwise the monitor isn't that great for me :)
  • Zekerbox
    Zekerbox Member Posts: 1 New User
    My VG271U does this weird graphical glitch stuff too. Has anyone here found a solution? Firmware or Driver updates?
  • Rennex

Tinkerer

Well now that you reminded me of this thread, I can happily say that the glitches have been gone for a long while now. I didn't do anything special to fix it, so I assume the Nvidia drivers were initially buggy with Freesync, and later updates to the drivers have fixed the problems.
  • aivins
    aivins Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had this issue from day 1, sent the first screen back have the same problems on screen #2 got super busy in life and didn't have time to send the 2nd one back and the warranty seems to be 30 days cause it says its expired already like wtf is that this screen is that bad they can't back it for 6months min ? ?

Has anyone found a confirmed fix for this, I see some saying they have nVidia drivers, I use AMD and get the black outs, they only happen on full screen programs.... If disabling freesync is the fix whats the point of even getting this monitor?
  • mikecro
    mikecro Member Posts: 4 New User
    I get this too on a KG221Q. Windows 10, Microsoft SurfacePro, Win 10 via Targus Universal Docking Station and HDMI.
    Now also the same on a different laptop running Win 10 and a Dell DisplayLink and HDMI
    I will try HDMI direct to this second laptop.

Any pointers on how to troubleshoot? Or is this just a standard feature of Acer monitors? (and therefore I will not buy one again)
  • Loddan
    Loddan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Got a XV273K. I thought it was my GPU misbehaving (Radeon VII).
    Got this problem as well.

In addition to this, it refuses to use a refresh rate above 60 Hz in Apex Legends on 2560x1440.
    I just got another Radeon VII and tried it. Same thing. So it's not the GPU.
  • ColonelMcSwain
    ColonelMcSwain Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2019
    I had this exact same problem and found the cause was some kind of weird wifi interference. I was having random blackouts of the screen and audio for a couple seconds and also the random glitch and horizontal bar of corrupted pixels for a split second like OP described. I even sent back the first monitor I bought and the replacement did exactly the same thing. The problem I found was that I had one of the satellites from my Netgear Orbi router directly behind the monitor on my desk and found that when I pulled the monitor forward as little as a few inches the problem completely went away, and if I put the monitor even closer to the router it would actually just black out completely.  It sounds absurd and nobody will believe it, but after I moved the router a foot further away from the monitor I haven't a single problem. If you're having this problem too it's worth a shot. 

And for the record I actually have two of these monitors and theyre both connected to a GTX 1080 through DisplayPort and running at 120hz with G-Sync. At first both monitors were being glitchy but the one closer to the router was worse which is what tipped me off. I can say 100% certain this was the cause of the problem in my case and it is the weirdest thing I've ever seen with a computer which is why I had to come back here to share. 
  • Rennex

Tinkerer

At first both monitors were being glitchy but the one closer to the router was worse which is what tipped me off. I can say 100% certain this was the cause of the problem in my case and it is the weirdest thing I've ever seen with a computer which is why I had to come back here to share. 
    Interesting. I do believe you, a radio transmitter close to electronic circuits can cause them to go haywire. I suspect the displayport cables are shielded well enough that they aren't a problem if they go near a router, but the monitor itself may be susceptible. It's worth a try for anyone with this problem. But my problem went away without moving any nearby devices.
  • herr3ro
    herr3ro Member Posts: 1 New User
    The same problem with my XV273K

• korzh_yura
    korzh_yura Member Posts: 5 New User
    I have the same PLUS i have a conctant visible flickering all the leftside of the screen out of the box with latest nvidia drivers. Should I send it back and return or I can do something with this? Terruibly dissapoined ^(
  • Rennex

Tinkerer

I have the same PLUS i have a conctant visible flickering all the leftside of the screen out of the box with latest nvidia drivers. Should I send it back and return or I can do something with this? Terruibly dissapoined ^(
    I also have some (pretty rare) backlight flickering near the left edge. There's almost no chance that the nvidia drivers have any control over it, but it's a fault in the monitor itself. I've been meaning to get a replacement under warranty, but frankly I'm worried that the new monitor might have bigger faults...
  • ajburr
    ajburr Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Has there been a fix for this?  I just bought the XV2735 and while the picture is fantastic and the frame rate rocks, I get that black screen every once in a while.  As for the wifi thing, my router is on the opposite side of the room about 20 feet away, so I doubt it has anything to do with that.  I can try upgrading my drivers, disabling gsync, but I'm still curious if anyone came up with a permanent and definite fix.