Problem upgrading RAM on Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-61-R0GX G

Options
SPAZIWK
SPAZIWK Member Posts: 1 New User
I am trying to add 32GB of RAM to my Acer Predator 500 PH517-61-R0GX G.  When I add the two modules  (DDR4 2400 PC4-19200) to the free slots the Laptop does not boot and just has a black screen with no errors.  I tried two different RAM Upgrades with the same result.    What is wrong?  Can someone point me to a memory upgrade that will work in this laptop?

Links to the memory upgrades I tried are below.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    You probably just lucked out and got two bad pairs from Amazon. The crucial pair is guaranteed to work in your ph315-61. I suggest live chatting with crucial https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-contact?cm_re=us-top-nav-_-us-flyout-support-_-us-support-contact-chat to get it resolved.   Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think it could be a CAS latency(CL) problem. Download HWiNFO and check the latency of the existing RAM at 2400MHz. If it is lower than 17, then that could be the reason why the pair from the first link didn't work. There is no info about the latency from the pair from the second link.

Also both pairs have a frequency of 2400MHz while the one/s inside your device work with 2666MHz. In this case you can have 2 outcomes. 1st - the system will work and all modules will work at 2400MHz and 2nd - the first memory channel is the one that decides at what frequency the other channels will work and as the memory installed there is 2666MHz and the memory that you want install is 2400MHz, it won't be able to work at 2666MHz and the system will declare a RAM failure.

To summarise: it could because of different latencies between the modules or the different frequencies or both.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Just checked the latency from the second pair is also 17. This is what they have in common.

I would suggest you to look for memory that is 2666MHz and has the same latency as the one already installed.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Stev3
    Stev3 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with the same memory (ct2k16g4sfd824a). The memory speed is 2400MHz CL17 just like the included memory and the sticks work when testing them on another laptop. The Helios' free slots work also when testing them with a 4GB 2400MHz stick from the other laptop so the motherboard isn't broken either. What's odd is crucial explicitly mentions that the ct2k16g4sfd824a pack as supported for the Predator Helios 500 ph517-61-R0GX on their support page. Should I try replacing/swapping the original 8GB sticks with the 16GB sticks? If so, does anyone have a detailed guide how to correctly disassemble the laptop to get to them? If not, does anyone have a list of tested 16GB/32GB memory sticks that do work with the Helios 500?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Stev3 2 of the ram slots are on one side of the mobo the other 2 are in the other side you have to disassemble the mobo completely to access all the 4 slots

and these are the sodimms tested by Acer

And any hyperx sodimm should work fine with your machine i never used crucial i alwasy used and alwasy will use kingston on all y laptops even if they bring any other brand i will bin it and replace it with kingston never had a single issue either on laptops neither desktops :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• RAMChYLD
    RAMChYLD Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    Options
    Well, I just sourced for two extra pieces of the Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH RAM and it works for me. Found an online store selling these and after I determined from CPU-Z that my Helios 500 came with these, I just got two more and popped them in. Got 32GB, but now RAM speed has downclocked to 2133MHz and Instruction Timing has fell to 2T, but latency decreased to 15-15-15-35. I'm fine with it tho, Sony/Magix Vegas doesn't seem any slower and Satisfactory and GTA V still runs silky smooth, which are the important factors for me.

So yeah, I think the first thing to do is to scout out the RAM type on your laptop using CPU-Z. A bit tough since either Acer's BIOS is blocking SPD reading or the RAM doesn't have a proper SPD, but I was able to guess it via the info that CPU-Z could get.

The only things bugging me about the laptop is how two of the RAM slots are inaccessible, and how the GPU isn't on a MXM-II card, and how it doesn't have a ExpressCard slot (really want to throw in a X-Fi Expresscard to make the machine on par with my desktop). But yeah, can't have everything.
  • Stev3
    Stev3 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    So rather than going through the effort/risk of tearing down my Helios 500 to get to the 8GB sticks, I just ordered a single Samsung 32GB 2666MHz C19 (M471A4G43MB1) stick to try out since I couldn't find any confirmation of whether it would work or not. Relievingly, it does work so 128GB of total ram is definitely possible! Even better, putting one of the Crucial 16GB 2400MHz C17 (CT16G4SFD824A) sticks that didn't work before into the remaining top slot now works... And it instantly rebooted as I was typing this and subsequently failed MemTest86. The Helios 500 seems to hate the Crucial 16GB sticks for some mysterious reason. :/ But at least the 32GB stick works and passes MemTest86 and I'm going to order a second one to attempt 80GB.

The only downside is the ram is now down clocked all the way to 1866MHz 13-13-13-30 2T.

• Siva13
    Siva13 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I can confirm 128 gb ram works with 4 sticks of 32 gb. I got it last week, second hand off eBay for a grand and did disassemble the whole PC. To be honest the process was not bad ( though I wouldn't want to do this again). The only care someone needs to take is to remember the various connectors to the motherboard. These is also one screw, at least in my unit connecting the motherboard to the laptop chassis. Once disconnected just lift the bottom portion of the motherboard slightly and you can find the internal ram slots) and make sure to have a thermal paste handy, as the cpu and gpu cooler needs to come off as well for the disassembly. Regarding the ram speed, I was able to get them to work at 2400 MHz through ryzen master.
  • tv01d
    tv01d Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Siva13 said:
    I can confirm 128 gb ram works with 4 sticks of 32 gb. I got it last week, second hand off eBay for a grand and did disassemble the whole PC. To be honest the process was not bad ( though I wouldn't want to do this again). The only care someone needs to take is to remember the various connectors to the motherboard. These is also one screw, at least in my unit connecting the motherboard to the laptop chassis. Once disconnected just lift the bottom portion of the motherboard slightly and you can find the internal ram slots) and make sure to have a thermal paste handy, as the cpu and gpu cooler needs to come off as well for the disassembly. Regarding the ram speed, I was able to get them to work at 2400 MHz through ryzen master.
    woah!, 128Gb is it stable ? can you share the brand ?
  • deksman2
    deksman2 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Siva13 said:
    I know its an old thread and post, but I was wondering if you could share a screen grab of your Ryzen Master RAM timings and frequency setup for the RAM.
    Thanks.