SSD upgrade problem Aspire V 15 V5-591G-79GL

Options
g0spon
g0spon Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

my friend bought Samsung 970 Evo 250GB SSD and we have a problem to install Windows 10 on it.

We installed a SSD into laptop (Aspire V 15 V5-591G-79GL) and booted Windows from USB (created by Rufus) in legacy because on UEFI it says "No bootable disk", there was an error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardwer may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." then we continued installation and after restart blue screen comes on.

p.s. Windows 10 is already installed on HDD

I would like if someone could help us solve this problem. Thanks!

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What I understood from your first post is that when BIOS is UEFI, the USB drive with windows is not detected, but when you set it to Legacy it is detected, but after the installation you get the BSOD screen.

From this I assume that you likely have formatted the USB drive as MBR instead of GPT, so the UEFI boot manager won't find the USB drive, because it is looking for the EFI partiton, which doesn't exist when the drive is formatted as MBR.

Therefore you have to re-format the USB drive, but this time set the partitioning scheme to GPT from Rufus and BIOS to UEFI.

The reason for the error when you install windows on legacy BIOS is probably because the 970evo is designed to work on UEFI only.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Options
    The system won't accept windows installation drive that is for legacy BIOS. You have to set the BIOS mode to legacy from UEFI in order to work, but I would personally prefer to use UEFI.

The reason why the windows installation drive for UEFI wasn't detected is probably because you have selected MBR partitioning scheme, when it should be set to GPT for UEFI booting.
    For Legacy you select MBR partitioning
    For UEFI you select GPT partitioning

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• g0spon

Tinkerer

Options
    So if I convert SSD to GPT and set BIOS to UEFI it should boot USB for clean install?

I was seaching for the problem and found brummyfan2 was saying that first you have to find out if laptop support mentioned SSD then create a bootable USB with media creation tool and so on but I'm not sure if that is necessary.
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What I understood from your first post is that when BIOS is UEFI, the USB drive with windows is not detected, but when you set it to Legacy it is detected, but after the installation you get the BSOD screen.

From this I assume that you likely have formatted the USB drive as MBR instead of GPT, so the UEFI boot manager won't find the USB drive, because it is looking for the EFI partiton, which doesn't exist when the drive is formatted as MBR.

Therefore you have to re-format the USB drive, but this time set the partitioning scheme to GPT from Rufus and BIOS to UEFI.

The reason for the error when you install windows on legacy BIOS is probably because the 970evo is designed to work on UEFI only.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• g0spon

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok I got it. I will try it then I'll come back. Thanks.