Aspire E1-572 USB 3 port only working with USB 2 devices

chagzuki
chagzuki Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I should have had this checked under warranty but it never really bothered me in earlier days of using the laptop. I've found that the USB 2 ports work fine and the USB 3 port works with most USB 2 devices, but I can only get USB 3 drives (pen or hdd) to work on the USB 2 ports; they're not recognized when plugged into the USB 3 port. All ports seem to be working properly according to device manager in windows 10. There are reasons why I'd like USB 3 performance now. Could this be a bios issue? I never updated the bios... perhaps this is a known issue?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    The port on your machine is a USB3 blue super speed. Unless the stick is also certified to be a USB3 blue super speed, it may not work or work correctly in the super speed port. But it should be backward compatible with the regular USB2 ports. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chagzuki
    Thanks, but it’s the other way round, only non-usb 3 devices are recognised on the USB 3 port. I’ve tried a variety of USB 3 devices and they’re not recognised. I’m wondering if enough power is being delivered to that port.
  • JackE
    Sorry, that's not what I meant. USB3 devices that are NOT CERTIFIED USB3 BLUE should work OK in USB2 ports and some USB3 ports. BUT they may not work in a USB3 BLUE PORT.  Is the color of the USB3 device plug the same as the color of the laptop's USB3 port? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chagzuki
    Yes, they use the blue coloured usb 3 plugs. I just realised one device is externally powered so I don’t think it’s a power issue.
  • JackE
    Then I'll guess that either the ACER's USB3 blue port ---or--- the device's USB3 blue plug is a certified blue super speed fake. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chagzuki
    A fake component in a new acer product (new as in it wasn’t bought second-hand)?
  • chagzuki
    Looking at the port itself I notice the outer rectangular metal is slightly bent, it's not a perfect rectangle like the other ports are. I wonder if this is somehow preventing proper contact... but I don't see why that would mean USB 2 devices work but USB 3 don't.
  • JackE
    >>>A fake component in a new acer product (new as in it wasn’t bought second-hand)? >>>

Or maybe the device is certified blue super speed fake?  What is this device? And how do you know it's certified blue super speed? Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ