Is there a need of setting the CPU power limit to max?

Options
predatorofman
predatorofman Member Posts: 62 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi to all!

I have undervolted my i7-8750H CPU on my Predator Helios 500 for 160.2 mV with ThrottleStop,and I have set the Speed Shift to 0 (max CPU performance) while gaming.

Is there a need I increase the CPU power limit to MAX in Predator Sense (while gaming) too?

Or I should reconfigure it ?

Please help me.
Thanks to all in advance.

Best Answers

• predatorofman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for replying!

Please tell me if I should reconfigure ThrottleStop for the CPU speed-SpeedShift ,which I have set to 0  while gaming,and set the CPU power limit to max?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, it won't.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can also navigate to C:/ProgramData/OEM/PredatorSense/i7-8750H
    And edit the XTU profiles here and set the undervolt to that of your liking.

I personally think -0.160 is too low for this chip and would recommend going -0.140.
    - Hotel Hero
  • ven98
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    What do you mean?

Do you open the XTU profiles from the Predator Sense folder with XTU and then saving them by replacing the existing file? The files are protected and can't be edited, so you have to create the XTU profile rename it with the same name as it is on the existing file in the Predator Sense folder, then remove the existing file from Predator Sense folder and place your custom profile file.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don't think there is. I think this way is pretty quick. Acer could have made it much harder and complicated.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Red-Sand
    Options
    Red-Sand said:

I personally think -0.160 is too low for this chip and would recommend going -0.140.
    I am facing a problem,I can't save the XTU profiles which I have edited.

Any help please?

Ok so what you can do is open a profile then save the profile on the right next to the yellow "Apply" button after you make changes, then when it prompts you to name the profile name it something like "NormalNew" or "TurboNew" etc. Then navigate to the location I mentioned above and save the profile there.
    Or you can go to the profile section in XTU and select the profile then "export" it to the folder.

Note: I recommend not changing anything in the "Normal" profile except the undervolt.

Next navigate back to the Predator Sense folder and rename the profile you're replacing to something like "NormalOld" or "TurboOld" etc.
    Then move the old profiles somewhere safe as a backup.

Then rename the ones you just exported to the folder from "NormalNew" to > "Normal".
    Then just reboot.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• ven98
    Options
    Yes, there is a good reason to set the power limit to max, as it increases PL1(power limit during most of the time) limit from 45W to 56.25W and PL2(short duration power limit, which lasts for several seconds) limit from 56.25W to 70W. 

In some occasions the CPU might not be able to reach the max frequency, because the power that it is allowed to use is not enough(power throttling). Increasing the power limit will prevent the CPU from power throttling to maintain max frequency when the power has to go over 45W.

Whether you want to increase the PL or not depends on whether the CPU power throttles during usage.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• predatorofman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for replying!

Please tell me if I should reconfigure ThrottleStop for the CPU speed-SpeedShift ,which I have set to 0  while gaming,and set the CPU power limit to max?
  • ven98
    Options
    I personally prefer to leave the EPP to 128 , which is like setting the windows power plan to balanced. It lets the CPU clock to max frequency and at the same time it downclocks to lowest frequency when at idle saving as much power as possible. Setting the EPP higher than 128 will start limiting the max frequency of the CPU under load and setting it lower will do the opposite - increasing the minimum frequency when the CPU is idle and under light load. Setting the value to 0 means that the CPU will be constantly clocked at highest frequency, which will give best performance, but not ideal when the system is idle. If I wanted high performance, I would set the EPP around 60s.

I don't actually see a reason to use throttlestop for undervolting, because when you select the CPU preset to Turbo from Predator Sense it automatically applies an undervolt of -125mV, while increasing the power limit at the same time.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• predatorofman
    Options
    Thank you !

So,if I don't need ThrottleStop for undervolting,how do I undervolt the CPU while at idle,and how to disable the turbo at idle?
  • ven98
    Options
    You don't need to disable turbo at idle(or if you want you can do it manually), as the increased power limit doesn't affect the power consumption at idle. At the end of the day it is up to you whether you want use Predator Sense or Throttlestop. Just bear in mind that if you use Throttlestop it is best to not change the CPU presets of PR, as it will interfere with Throttlestop.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• predatorofman
    Options
    Well TBH I would like to use only Predator Sense if it undervolts the CPU itself.

Please tell me how can I disable the turbo boost at idle without TS,and do you reccommend to me to to set the PL to MAX only while gaming,or at idle too?
  • ven98
    Options
    Why would you want to disable turbo boost?

You can set the PL to max all time by simply leaving the CPU on 'turbo' preset from predator sense.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• predatorofman
    Options
    I would like to disable the turbo only to get lower temps while at idle.
  • ven98
    Options
    Disabling turbo boost won't affect the idle temps.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• predatorofman
    Options
    Would the PL set at max affect the idle temps?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, it won't.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• predatorofman
    Options
    ven98 said:
    No, it won't.
    Thank you very much for helping out!

I was testing it for a few hours and it worked pefectly! :)
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    Options

- Hotel Hero
  • predatorofman
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for this useful tip!

:)
  • predatorofman
    Options
    Red-Sand said:

I am facing a problem,I can't save the XTU profiles which I have edited.

Any help please?
  • ven98
    Options
    What do you mean?

Do you open the XTU profiles from the Predator Sense folder with XTU and then saving them by replacing the existing file? The files are protected and can't be edited, so you have to create the XTU profile rename it with the same name as it is on the existing file in the Predator Sense folder, then remove the existing file from Predator Sense folder and place your custom profile file.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• predatorofman
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • ven98
    Options
    You are welcome :)
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• predatorofman
    Options
    ven98 said:
    What do you mean?

Could you please tell me how to create the new XTU profile,with the same settings as the old one but only with the undervolting values custom?
  • ven98
    Options
    You can open to the XTU profile from the PR folder to see what the values set are and then apply the same values on a new profile.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system