Helios 300 power issues from day 1

Trelos77
Trelos77 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I am a soldier currently displaced in Kuwait.  The gaming laptop I brought with me had issues with facebook video chatting... so I decided to buy a new one.  Bought a Helios 300, waited 2 weeks or so, it finally arrives and I go through the rigors of booting a new PC.

A few hours later, a hear a pop (kicks the breaker to my room) and my laptop stops charging... awesome... try a few things, nothing works.  Grab the AC cord to go test on someone elses computer (about 4 of us bought Helios 300 at same time), as I grabbed the cable I hear rattling... whatever "popped" there is a huge chunk of solder bouncing around inside now.

So, not wanting to deal with trying to go through warranty steps since I am out of country, with no cell number, etc... I deside to buy one online.  Can't find one on Amazon from Acer so I buy one that has same specs and states is replacement for Helios 300.  Cable comes on... charges laptop fine... till the first timw I try to play a video game.

Youtube fine, Netflix fine, Gaming... won't charge.  The second I load up Divinity, the laptop stops charging, screen dims... before long I am getting 15min warning, over and over and over as it tries to charge, then fails, kicking me out of game every time.

I thought I boughy a gaming computer... does everything fine but gaming.  Have never had so many problems from a computer.  Any thoughts?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Does the device stops charging while gaming or the battery just discharges faster than it charges? There is a difference between the two.

When you run the game, minimise it and go over the battery icon and check if it is charging or it shows ''plugged in, discharging'.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!