How to disconnect HDD? Acer Swift 3 (SF314-54G)

Davisson
Davisson Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi

Im going to use HDD + SSD
SSD as my main drive for system
So i want to move the system from HDD to SSD, i have cloned the HDD to SSD
I have read that after i cloned the system to SSD, i need to disconnect HDD to make windows boot from SSD, but i dont know which cable to disconnect in this case.

any help?
thankyou

Best Answer

• Davisson

Tinkerer

edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Hi
    You dont need to disconnect your HDD to make SSD your main boot drive

The problem was found that i didnt clone the EFI boot partition to the SSD
    This is the problem that cause the BIOS not showing the SSD

After cloning the EFI boot partition, BIOS will show 2 windows boot manager, one for hdd, one for ssd
    I simply move the second to be the first

thanks for the answer before

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You don't need to disconnect the HDD(There is a single cable going to the HDD that carries power and data, so you simply disconnect it from the HDD), because you can go to BIOS(press F2 on startup) and then create supervisor password, disable secure boot, change boot priorities, so the SSD is first on the list and enable F12 boot menu if you want to select the boot drive manually on start up by pressing F12.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Davisson

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    ven98 said:
    You don't need to disconnect the HDD(There is a single cable going to the HDD that carries power and data, so you simply disconnect it from the HDD), because you can go to BIOS(press F2 on startup) and then create supervisor password, disable secure boot, change boot priorities, so the SSD is first on the list and enable F12 boot menu if you want to select the boot drive manually on start up by pressing F12.
    I have tried entering BIOS, disabling secure boot, but the BIOS only shows windows boot manager thus i cant choose other than that. My BIOS button is f12, so what you mean "boot menu" is different with going inside BIOS i guess? f2 didnt work for me, i know that every device is different for this BIOS button
    my question is "Is boot menu different from go to BIOS?"

Edit :
    If going to BIOS doesn't work, else the only way is to disconnect the HDD, for this case i think i need some photos from Acer about how to disconnect it, because im not an expert in internal parts
  • Davisson

Tinkerer

My Specs

Acer Swift 3 (SF314-54G)

Intel Core i7 8550U
    8 GB RAM
    Nvidia MX 150
    FHD 1920 x 1080 display
    Windows 10 Home
  • Davisson

Tinkerer

edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Hi
    You dont need to disconnect your HDD to make SSD your main boot drive

The problem was found that i didnt clone the EFI boot partition to the SSD
    This is the problem that cause the BIOS not showing the SSD

After cloning the EFI boot partition, BIOS will show 2 windows boot manager, one for hdd, one for ssd
    I simply move the second to be the first

thanks for the answer before